PDA

View Full Version : When did Bridge stop splitting polygons?

jeric_synergy
10-04-2014, 02:25 PM
According to the LW10 Modeler pdf:

NOTE: In Point mode, the Bridge tool
(Construct> Bridge) works identically to the
Split Polygons command, except with
one convenient modification: you don’t have to select the
polygons you want to cut ahead of time.

This is not true in 11.6.3, in fact, you get an error msg. "Bridge is not available in point mode. ()"

When did this change? Even more important, WHY did it change?

And could we make error messages copy&pastable? I get tired of transcribing them.

prometheus
10-04-2014, 02:29 PM
According to the LW10 Modeler pdf:

NOTE: In Point mode, the Bridge tool
(Construct> Bridge) works identically to the
Split Polygons command, except with
one convenient modification: you don’t have to select the
polygons you want to cut ahead of time.

This is not true in 11.6.3, in fact, you get an error msg. "Bridge is not available in point mode. ()"

When did this change? Even more important, WHY did it change?

And could we make error messages copy&pastable? I get tired of transcribing them.

havenīt checked that pdf, isnīt it just a fault in the documentation or are you confusing it with the connect tool?
I thought the bridge tool never has worked with point bridging.

itīs the same in lw 11.6.2
Donīt work in 9.6 either..conclusion is that the documentation is wrong and is confusing it with the connect tool, or you are.

jeric_synergy
10-04-2014, 02:57 PM
havenīt checked that pdf, isnīt it just a fault in the documentation or are you confusing it with the connect tool?
I thought the bridge tool never has worked with point bridging.
itīs the same in lw 11.6.2
Donīt work in 9.6 either..conclusion is that the documentation is wrong and is confusing it with the connect tool, or you are.
Well, I seem to remember the kerfuffle when this came out: people thought it was nonsensical, but it seemed clear enough to me: You are BRIDGING two Points with the only thing that can bridge two points, an EDGE, and it splits the polygon as a byproduct. Additionally, it was nice that you didn't have to select the poly to slice it.

Maybe I'm confabulating, but it is right there in the dox, which explicitly mentions the Bridge tool. And no I'm not confusing it with Connect, although the action is the same.

spherical
10-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Just tried this out. IIRC, a lot of people have been unsatisfied with tools doing the same things. When Connect does what you want, bridge two points with an edge (which, by default, divides the poly), why have another tool do the same thing?

jeric_synergy
10-04-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm not campaigning for it, except the documentation to be updated, although AFICR I'm not on the warpath about tool overlap either.

The thing is, it already did the same thing. No reason to take capabilities away, and it saves me from losing another hotkey, for Connect.

prometheus
10-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Uhmm...I just donīt understand?
why wasnīt it working then in lw 9.6 and why isīt mentioned to work as mentioned in lw 10 documentation..when it didnīt work before or after 10 version and in the 11.6 versions.
Can anyonone confirm that the bridge actually worked like it was mentioned in the docīs? and if such ..in what version?

spherical
10-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Heh. Just checked all of the addenda after 10 and Bridge doesn't appear at all.

jeric_synergy
10-04-2014, 09:21 PM
My three-paragraph-documentation-rant hotkey isn't working...

spherical
10-04-2014, 09:50 PM
THANK the MAKER!