PDA

View Full Version : How many would find it useful: "Not On Base" indicator?// map counter alert

jeric_synergy
10-04-2014, 01:59 PM
How many would find a conspicuous "You're Working On A Morph Map" or, more to the point "You're Not Working On The Base Map" indicator useful in Modeler?

I'm thinking it could be tied to "ALERT LEVEL" for those who don't want to see/use it.

Something along the lines of a one-pixel border around the viewport area, similar to AE's "Caps-Lock" alert.

Along the same lines, I'd appreciate a "(base)/5" added to the morph map indicate in the traditional place, to alert/remind the user that YES, maps exist, without having to click on the dropdown.

ernpchan
10-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Submit a feature request. It's a good idea.

erikals
10-04-2014, 04:01 PM
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/agree.gif

jeric_synergy
10-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Done.
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?72911_ckh7pkuv

lertola2
10-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Would be a big help. I lost a lot of time today because I did not realize I was working on a morph target.

jeric_synergy
10-06-2014, 10:49 PM
I could mockup both what I described before, and a small translucent rectangular label in the corner of the viewports w/the map name. It would look cool.

But a description is probably adequate, n'est ce-pas?

ernpchan
10-07-2014, 12:14 AM
I say make that border light blue and you're on to something.

sami
10-07-2014, 01:33 AM
Check out what other cool apps do. Unity3D tints the entire interface when you are running the scene from the editor so at a glance you can tell you are in a different mode. It's very subtle but noticeable. Not sure about a selection color around the viewports. It's a little too "selecty" - but this is a good idea to let you know what mode you are in.

That's an area LW has consistently been poor in (probably due to the legacy of its interface limitations) - letting the user know at a glance information about what they are seeing. I mean it's not like Layer selections & numbers are that noticeable (or that there is anything on layers beyond #10 without clicking the button, or that you are in subpatch mode if you don't have cages visible, etc. Enough info to tell you a lot about what you are looking at is a good thing, provided it doesn't clutter.

jeric_synergy
10-07-2014, 01:46 AM
I say make that border light blue and you're on to something.
And I'd say make it user definable. 8~

As I often do.

It's a little too "selecty" - but this is a good idea to let you know what mode you are in.
"Selecty"?

That's an area LW has consistently been poor in (probably due to the legacy of its interface limitations) - letting the user know at a glance information about what they are seeing. I mean it's not like Layer selections & numbers are that noticeable (or that there is anything on layers beyond #10 without clicking the button, or that you are in subpatch mode if you don't have cages visible, etc. Enough info to tell you a lot about what you are looking at is a good thing, provided it doesn't clutter.
I always felt one of the better things was the cursor changing state/appearance. Reasonably subtle.

I went w/the border because I always liked that signifier in AE. Options (see my rant about LW3dG not thinking IMMEDIATELY about what options they want a feature to have) include as mentioned color, transparency, and PATTERN-- a dashed translucent line might be just as good/better than an opaque solid line.

Ryan Roye
10-07-2014, 05:52 AM
I agree... it is just too easy to work on a model only to find that you were actually working within a morph rather than the base model. I still slip up on that from time to time... but I know how to fix the issue afterward. Many people don't.

jeric_synergy
10-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Matt has said this is addressed in some version of LW, but he didn't give me a peek to find any deficiencies. --I say that's just craven. ;)

And I repeat: >;^)

ernpchan
10-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Matt has said this is addressed in some version of LW, but he didn't give me a peek to find any deficiencies. --I say that's just craven. ;)

And I repeat: >;^)

Yeah it's pretty awesome.

jeric_synergy
10-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Yeah it's pretty awesome.
Well, we don't really KNOW how awesome it is until we have a chance to try it out. Perchance it's AWFUL. Probably not, and better than what we got, but we don't know YET.