PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones Works is going viral...Should NT Marketing jump in?

robertoortiz
10-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Cheris Jones the Amazing animator Behind the short the passenger:
http://io9.com/its-hard-to-believe-this-isnt-a-real-person-1641782998

Is at it again...

http://io9.com/its-hard-to-believe-this-isnt-a-real-person-1641782998

Can NT somehow help out this man and ride the wave?

-R

OnlineRender
10-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Chris was already on the newsletter a few months ago ...also nt already know via facebook even philip nelson thought it was wicked.

prometheus
10-03-2014, 07:48 AM
That thing is marketing itself, maybe the only thing that needs to be ensured is described..that is the usage of lightwave, but also sculptris perhaps..the main purpose is however to show off Chris Jones work, not the software behind i really.
What the lightwave team should look in too, that is to listen to what issues chris has or had in the process of making it, and find ways to perhaps improve on those issues.

Michael

OnlineRender
10-03-2014, 08:46 AM
That thing is marketing itself, maybe the only thing that needs to be ensured is described..that is the usage of lightwave, but also sculptris perhaps..the main purpose is however to show off Chris Jones work, not the software behind i really.
What the lightwave team should look in too, that is to listen to what issues chris has or had in the process of making it, and find ways to perhaps improve on those issues.

Michael

when I initally posted the video it had 600 views , now nearly at the 1 million * or will be at the end of the week , heck when Youtube comment on a video then you know you have done well and you raise a good point , no matter what app chris used it would still be a stunning piece of art , the fact he used LW just gives mortals like us a little hope ;)

robertoortiz
10-03-2014, 09:30 AM

Michael

Amen!
I think they should really try to pick his brain to see what ideas he has to make Lw better.

-R

ianr
10-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Dear Rob,

Chris's Work (the left eye) of it,
LW3DG did put in their Rolling full page advert
in 3d World Magazine recently.

Personally, I think they should go back to
advertising in the Cinefex quartely, and
try to get Chris's jaw dropping work in some
National broadsheets around the world.

Strap-Line: It's real,so what? No, it isn't!

BenchMark CGI that Chris has
turned out should be run with by R.Powers,
with all his might.

djwaterman
10-03-2014, 10:02 AM

Michael

I agree, some of the issues he's come across trying to pull it off need to be addressed, like the hair and so on. The thing about Chris's animation, the subtleties of the eye movements, it's just key framing, the wrinkles, it's his sculpting abilities. It's mostly just Chris's hard work and talent.

bazsa73
10-03-2014, 10:07 AM
The problem is that I have seen this video on a local hungarian news portal and not even a f***** word has been spoken
about the software it was created with. Which is a shame because I'm sure that 99.99% of people worldwide would associate to 3dmax or maya.
Rant off.

Oedo 808
10-03-2014, 10:43 AM
My concern is about comments like the one putting forward renderfarm services because of how long his render times are, the offer is a bit moot because it's due to issues with getting the project to network render properly, if he explains that in the Youtube comments it'd be a bit of cringe-worthy reading for me. Assuming Chris has more in the pipeline I would hope that they would take an interest in making sure the obvious question to be asked of "How long did it take to render?" doesn't get met with a answer of a similar render time for those.

If it hasn't already been suggested and rebuffed, maybe they could sponsor him in some way so that he could make room for even a subtle logo on the videos he releases.

Or they could just get on with whatever takes their fancy and just say "Oh, that's nice" if and when Chris uploads more videos.

Davewriter
10-03-2014, 07:50 PM
I kind of wish someone would make some use out of it. I've had people I do other work with (real job) ask if I've seen this cool thing... So interested eyes are seeing it.

Surrealist.
10-04-2014, 02:53 AM
Market Rendering. Yes. Deformations and rigging/available methods to do this in LW no.

The animation in this case, clearly in the hands of someone with a lot of skill.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132336-Eyes-and-Wrinkles

adrian
10-04-2014, 05:31 AM
I don't suppose there is an article detailing his texturing and lighting techniques for this amazing piece of work?

JohnMarchant
10-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Yes i would pay handsomely for Tutorials from Chris.

creacon
10-07-2014, 09:38 AM
It even made it to belgian TV, in a program called "Ter Zake" :)

Skywatcher_NT
10-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Missed that ! Do you recall what day it was on ? ( so I can look it up )
thnx

Skywatcher_NT
10-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Never mind. Found it.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/videozone/programmas/terzake/EP_141002_TZ?playlist=7.39645&video=1.2108098

djwaterman
10-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Also RedShark,

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/2074-the-best-3d-animation-we-ve-seen-just-got-better?utm_source=www.lwks.com+subscribers&utm_campaign=25ee7f4d16-RSN_Oct07_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_079aaa3026-25ee7f4d16-77415605

erikals
10-08-2014, 11:55 PM
made it into Norwegian media too
http://www.teknofil.no/artikler/dette-oyet-er-ikke-ekte/156871

Riff_Masteroff
10-09-2014, 02:06 AM
2 million hits for Chris Jones video . . . . and . . . . . 20 million hits for the funny cat video posted next to it

allabulle
10-09-2014, 02:50 AM
I saw it on the Catalan public television 24h news channel too. They broadcasted a bit showing the animation while praising how real it feels and as an example of how far technology has come in simulating humans using CGI.

Julez4001
10-09-2014, 03:44 AM
I hope Newtek will address the hair issue. Yes their software can render hair however its ease of use = tearing your skin off.

Kaptive
10-09-2014, 04:05 AM
2 million hits for Chris Jones video . . . . and . . . . . 20 million hits for the funny cat video posted next to it

There are priorities you know Riff... :)