PDA

View Full Version : Point lights can't be seen

RobertS
11-27-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm new to lightwave and when I add Point lights to a scene they can't be seen. You can see the effect of the light on other objects but not the light its self. Can anyone straighten me out.

Thanks

toby
11-27-2003, 04:35 PM
None of the lights are made to be visible, by default. You need to add a lens flare under Light Properties.

hrgiger
11-27-2003, 10:17 PM
RTFM

knuckles644
11-27-2003, 11:47 PM
I'm guessing RTFM stands for "read the ****ing manual":)

RobertS
11-28-2003, 01:35 AM
However obvious that may sound, I have read the manual and bought an extra just for kicks. Maybe I should be more descriptive. If I have a point light that is visible and make two clones of it, one will be visible and one will not. If I remove the one that is not visible, the one that was previously visible becomes invisible. If I add a light sometimes I can make it visible and sometimes I can't. I assumed there was a problem with the program and possible a patch for it. However I can't find that anyone else is having the same problem. Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug.

thanks again.

ingo
11-28-2003, 01:41 AM
Its still not clear what youre at. When you add a light it is by default invisible, so how do you make it visible ?

toby
11-28-2003, 01:45 AM
Do you mean visible in the viewport or in the rendered image? Check Display options for OpenGL Lights and make sure it's high enough

colkai
11-28-2003, 05:47 AM
Put a simple scene together with a ball and the lights setup you are having problems with, one with 2 lights and 1 with 1.
Zip 'em up and attach 'em here - I'm sure folks could then assist much better.

To re-iterate, are they 'invisible' in as much as no 'light source' shows on the render, (LW requires the light to have a lens flare for this). Or are they invisible in OGL mode, i.e. they disappear from the layout view, not the render.
If itis the latter, it may be related to a grpahics card / driver issue.

Axis3d
11-28-2003, 10:59 AM
This sounds like a display card type problem. Sometimes people get weird things not showing properly in layout or in certain menus. What type of graphics card do you have? I would suggest downloading the latest driver and seeing if that clears it up. Are you on mac or PC? The guy I work with uses it on a mac and has tons of problems, including display issues.

Stewpot
11-28-2003, 03:46 PM
I assume you mean the light symbol in layout is sometimes visible and sometimes not after cloning.

What might help to know is that, when you clone a light in layout the clone is placed in exactly the same position as the original. (So if you clone 2 or 3 or... they are all in the same position).

To move them to different locations perhaps if you select them by using the selection panel you will be sure to only select one. whereas if you select by direct clicking on the light you could be selecting one or more at the same time and thus moving them.

It would then appear that the original light has disappeared.

If that aint it, sorry cant help you.