PDA

View Full Version : 2 Basic IK questions

MarkLWUsr
10-02-2014, 07:07 PM
I am returning to LW after not using it since LW 10. The pdf manuals seem a bit cumbersome at this point. I have two basic questions.

2) I can mirror a bone hierarchy with rotation limits intact, but it does not mirror the interpolation value or the rotation controller object. Is there any way to do this?

Edit: Found answer to question number one.

spherical
10-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Why do people do this? We all want to learn. By reading questions that others have come up with, that we may not have stumbled into yet, and then learning the answers to same, it helps all of us. Now, we don't even know what the first question was, let alone the answer to it.

bazsa73
10-02-2014, 11:53 PM
I just noticed he deleted the first question completely. Lol.

MarkLWUsr
10-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Why do people do this? We all want to learn. By reading questions that others have come up with, that we may not have stumbled into yet, and then learning the answers to same, it helps all of us. Now, we don't even know what the first question was, let alone the answer to it.

First question: How do I draw a line from the control object to a target bone? I had discovered this accidentally the first time.

*Answer is > select null control object > open object properties > drop down menu ; Add Custom Object ; Item Shape option > double click to edit item shape > drop down menu ; (set to target object).

RebelHill
10-03-2014, 02:27 AM
The interpolation value? And, nope, you cant mirror bones and their goals together. Just clone the goal item.

spherical
10-03-2014, 02:46 AM
First question: How do I draw a line from the control object to a target bone? I had discovered this accidentally the first time.

*Answer is > select null control object > open object properties > drop down menu ; Add Custom Object ; Item Shape option > double click to edit item shape > drop down menu ; (set to target object).

Perfect. Thanks.

Ryan Roye
10-03-2014, 05:31 AM
2) I can mirror a bone hierarchy with rotation limits intact, but it does not mirror the interpolation value or the rotation controller object. Is there any way to do this?

Is this for the purpose of animating or getting the rig set up in the first place?

If rigging...

Give my free plugins a try, which includes a set of tools called "Symmetry Edit Mode". The only requirement is that the script assumes you have proper naming conventions applied. Example: All the bones on the right side are labeled "Right", or "Rght", or "_R", or whatever.

http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-free-plugins/

if animating, it may be a bit advanced to set it up; you'd have to work through layered constraints to make that happen.

MarkLWUsr
10-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Is this for the purpose of animating or getting the rig set up in the first place?

Currently rigging the model. The project is still images and the character will be posed for each shot by rotating the bones, except for the hands where only minor variation is needed. I set-up the hands to make a loose fist or grasping shape controlled by the pitch rotation of a null control ojbect.

I have not used LW extensively in about 6 years. I recall the general workflow but between the many small details and the new features, getting back to in Layout has been frustrating. Modeler has actually been pretty easy to pick up again.

Thanks for the plug-in info.

MarkLWUsr
10-03-2014, 01:52 PM
The interpolation value? And, nope, you cant mirror bones and their goals together. Just clone the goal item.

Interpolate - in the Motion Options panel, on the rotation tab, immediately below the tab header. It can be changed between Interpolate/Compensate.

I'm just recently returning to LW after a long hiatus. The correct terminology eludes me.

RebelHill
10-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Ah ok...

No, it wont copy/reassign the object controller settings when you mirror, you'll have to set them up side by side individually.

Have a go with this fella... you'll find it quicker than clicking your way through the motion options panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgVjgreplA&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX&index=38