PDA

View Full Version : Octane price and power!

jaxtone
10-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Hi!

Maybe I am an idiot but can someone please help me with information about Octane render that I just can´t understand!

1. What is the price for a poor virgin "meaning that I am a new user without rebate coupons!"

2. What about compability with Lightwave 11.6? I need it to speed up native stuff like ClothFX, dynamics, Bullet and particles!

3. What is it useless for, as I understood it exclude stuff like "Procedural Shaders", but what else is disqualified by Octane?

4. When is it a splendid alternative for the speed of a render process and when is it not?

5. Technical Support from teams that handles the English language without problems are preferable but not always a standard! How do you guys experience the support and explanation for the best ways to use it? (I added the language problem because I am a Swedish native and never learned to cope with support teams that have problems with their English skills.)

6. Anything else in this matter that I probably have missed would be very interesting to hear about!

Mr_Q
10-02-2014, 11:42 AM
It won't help you at all for things like ClothFX, dynamics, particles, or Bullet. It will do hair and instancing. It reads them from Lightwave.

What Octane does is it is a render, shading, lighting system. You can use native Lightwave procedurals using conversion nodes. It converts them to images. You can then connect them to inputs. All of Octane uses nodes.

It works good with 11.6. Always best to stay up to date.

The price is around $600. This allows you to use it on one computer. Additional "nodes" cost more.

jaxtone
10-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Mr_Q!

Thanks for the information!

juanjgon
10-02-2014, 03:15 PM
With Octane you can render effects like ClothFX, dynamics, Bullet and even particles as instancers sources, all without artifacts due to the unbiased nature of the Octane render kernes. Of course Octane is not going to make the process of this effects in Layout faster, it is only a render engine.

It is very useful to render sequences with animated objects, objects with deformations, simulations, moving lights, etc. ... all this things are very complex to render without artifacts in the LW native engine or other biased engines. It is also very useful to render stills, but like all unbiased renderers it could be a bit slow to render archviz style interior scenes. It is also very useful because all the scene setup, shading and lighting can be seen in real time in the IPR window.

You should try the demo version and see yourself if Octane can be useful for your projects.

-Juanjo

jaxtone
10-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Ok!

This all sounds very confusing to me! I thought that Octane worked from the inside of Lightwave, as a plugin! But now it sounds like Octane is an external standalone software!

Amurrell
10-02-2014, 05:15 PM
It can work both ways. http://render.otoy.com/shop/lightwave_plugin.php You can get a stand alone version and export files to render in it or get the plug in for your favorite app and render inside of that using the app's surfacing info. Either way, the LightWave plug in requires that you have the standalone version as noted on the page I linked.

visualbug
10-05-2014, 01:06 AM
AND you need a powerful NVIDIA VIDEO CARD, just in case you don't know :) you always going to be limited with the memory of the video card, is you have 1GB card, you will have 1GB o maybe less for your scene or rendering, if you scene is more than that you are done :) maybe instances can help I guess

if you have an ATI card, you can not use OCTANE RENDERER.........

jaxtone
10-05-2014, 03:11 AM
So this is the final price that I need: "OctaneRender™ for NewTek® LightWave™ v2.x + Standalone v2.x Combo License (439.00 €)"

It can work both ways. http://render.otoy.com/shop/lightwave_plugin.php You can get a stand alone version and export files to render in it or get the plug in for your favorite app and render inside of that using the app's surfacing info. Either way, the LightWave plug in requires that you have the standalone version as noted on the page I linked.

jaxtone
10-05-2014, 03:13 AM
This is the one I use... don´t know if its powerful enough?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780

AND you need a powerful NVIDIA VIDEO CARD, just in case you don't know :) you always going to be limited with the memory of the video card, is you have 1GB card, you will have 1GB o maybe less for your scene or rendering, if you scene is more than that you are done :) maybe instances can help I guess

if you have an ATI card, you can not use OCTANE RENDERER.........

juanjgon
10-05-2014, 11:11 AM
So this is the final price that I need: "OctaneRender™ for NewTek® LightWave™ v2.x + Standalone v2.x Combo License (439.00 €)"

Yes, you need the combo license (Octane Standalone+LightWave plugin).

-Juanjo

juanjgon
10-05-2014, 11:16 AM
This is the one I use... don´t know if its powerful enough?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780

The GTX 780 is a great GPU for Octane, you are going to get a good rendering performance with it. Of course in the future could add other GPU to your system (if possible) to get even better performance (for example 2x GTX780 can render twice faseter than only one).

A lot of users also have a second graphics card, that can be a cheaper one, to drive the monitor while working with Octane. With a second card for your monitor you can render at full speed with the GTX 780, and the system and LightWave interfaces are going to run smoothly.

-Juanjo

jaxtone
10-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Great to know juanjgon! Thanks!

Ryan Roye
10-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Great to know juanjgon! Thanks!

At the 1:58 minute mark of this video (http://youtu.be/hAw3Qvk85ag?t=1m58s), I show visually the difference a good GPU makes with Octane (in this case, 650 TI vs 780 TI).

I'm quite happy with the performance even a single 780 TI yields.