PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator to LightWave 11.6

jrdigiart
10-02-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm still trying to get the hang of all this… not sure if I ever will! Anyway, not sure if this is a dumb question, but is there a way to take an EPS file and make it into a cylinder? I haven't been able to do it and can't find any information on how to go about it… if it's possible. Thanx!

JR

prometheus
10-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Hi jrdigiart!

I think your question is a little vague?

you can export with eps (illustrator 8 eps)
import to lightwave as either open curves or closed polygons or polylines.
from there you extrude the curves or polys as any other regular lightwave object.
So the question is how your eps file looks like..if it´s some kind of logo you want to wrap around something in a cylinder, or if you want to use eps curves as the profile curve to make a cylinder from?

if you just want your logo on a cylinder I think it´s just best to raster it and export as an image and wrap around the cylinder.

Michael

jrdigiart
10-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Michael! I'm basically trying to take a rectangle with a design and after importing and slightly extruding it in LW, I want to wrap it around 360 deg to make it a cylinder. Does that make sense?

JR

JoePoe
10-02-2014, 09:38 AM
All depends on how the rectangle/design is segmented in order for it to bend well.... or at all. (can u show image?)

Also..... bend first. Then extrude. :thumbsup:

jrdigiart
10-02-2014, 09:54 AM
It was a stupid question! Thanx

JR

prometheus
10-02-2014, 11:25 AM
or use heatshrink, but the original eps or geometry needs proper divisions/segments as job poe says, and you will have to close the eps to polys with quads or triple before you can heatshrink it or bend it in a cylinder shape, bending or heatshrinking open curves
only will not give you anything useful.

jrdigiart
10-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Hi Michael,

Attached (if I did this right!) is an example of what I want to make into a cylinder. Is this to complex? If so, how would I go about making a cylinder with a pattern like this cut into it. If it helps, I'm trying to output this to a 3D printer.

JR

ernpchan
10-03-2014, 09:22 AM
You could use that as a stencil on a highly subdivided plane. After doing your stencil command do a bend and then thicken command.

jrdigiart
10-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I finally got it…

JR