PDA

View Full Version : Spline Control and Relativity RAM EATER

aarons
10-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Hi,

I do a lot of vehicle animation and always use Dr. Wheel rotator in Relativity for wheel rotation.

I setup my vehicle to follow a path set by the new spline control... and my 24 gigs of RAM were eaten in a matter of minutes and my machine brought to its knees when doing a RAM preview of the scene! Seems to be something with Relativity used with Spline path. If I disable Relativity (tires sliding down road instead of turning) the RAM bug goes away (and so do my rotating tires).

Anyone know a solution to this? Any hope that Relativity will be fixed when working with Spline paths? 10 hours wasted to figure this out!

Thanks,
Aaron

pinkmouse
10-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Why not use nodal motion instead of relativity? Here's a cut down scene to play with.

I'd still report the bug though.

Ryan Roye
10-01-2014, 04:46 PM
I don't know what's up with spline control on your end, but certain functions in Relativity were not designed with long animations in mind. By this, I mean that the further the playhead is from frame 0, the slower Relativity gets with some of its functions. To be clear, not ALL of relativity has this problem, only the functions that utilize the playhead's current location and all frames behind it to calculate things.

aarons
10-02-2014, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and the test file. I will try it out.

I have used Relativity for years with no issues in animations 1000s of frames long. Bug seems to have something to do with the spline or spline path following mixed with Relativity.

I will switch to another method and report the bug. Hopefully I can figure out the nodal motion method. Still getting used to nodes...

Thanks!

aarons
10-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Again thanks for the scene to try.

I get a plug-in missing when I try to load the scene - NodeHandler plug-in not found "TANL_DegreeToRadian". Are you using 3rd party plug-ins or am I missing something?

Thanks.

pinkmouse
10-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Oops, you need Sensei's free plugins: http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueArt%20Node%20Library

Get them, the db&w nodes and Dennis's DPkit as well, all free, and all invaluable.