PDA

View Full Version : Alternative for linking a Color from one surface to an other.

Carlo_Jongen
10-01-2014, 02:39 PM
I was wondering if we can link a color from one surface to an other in LW? By using some sort of internal link node in the Surface Node Editor.

For example:

I have an object with several surfaces but the main color is the same on most of the surfaces. Instead of making these colors all separate I would like to link ( in this case ) the colors. This so if they ask me to change the base color of the object that I don't have to go into every surface to change the colors over and over again.

How I do this now:
I found a way to do this by using a Null ( see picture attached to this thread ) but find this a bit tedious.

Basically I would like to link parameters ( like color, reflection, spec etc ) from a Surface to the same parameter of an other surface. Can this be done in LW?

Freelance Lightwave Animation at www.c3d.be

Skonk
10-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Poms Nodes (free node plugins) had a Get and Set node which would allow surfacing (colour for example) to be pulled from one surface and used on others.

I used it to do exactly what you are wanting to do on a phone model i made ages back.

Problem is, i'm not sure if these nodes are still available anywhere to download.

Sensei
10-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Why don't you plug Null position to Color directly?

Alternatively quicker way than what you showed would be using TrueArt's Node Library > Split Vector.

From commercial alternatives you could use Global Materials (http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu), and have all surfaces node editors in one window at the same time.

zardoz
10-01-2014, 03:06 PM
what skonk said. Download pom's nodes from db&w site.

Carlo_Jongen
10-01-2014, 03:17 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that it should work on Octane as well. Would this Global Material work with Octane?

Sensei
10-01-2014, 03:19 PM
I have no idea.

Does somebody here use Global Materials with Octane?

Does Octane support LW materials?

Carlo_Jongen
10-01-2014, 03:19 PM
If you link the position, then the Null will always move according to the color. By using the rotation the Null remains into one position only the angles change when changing the color.

Why don't you plug Null position to Color directly?

Alternatively quicker way than what you showed would be using TrueArt's Node Library > Split Vector.

From commercial alternatives you could use Global Materials (http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu), and have all surfaces node editors in one window at the same time.

zardoz
10-01-2014, 03:46 PM
from wehat juanjo said, only the nodes that come with octane work with octane. So I guess, you can try but you have a huge chance that it won't work.