PDA

View Full Version : Surfacing problem?

roryonthenet
11-27-2003, 07:43 AM
Can anyone suggest how I can get the surface of this logo smoother? I have spent ages tweeking the mesh, simplifying and or puting detail in to get rid of the kinks, but I just cant get it perfectly smooth, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance! Rory

The image should be attached I hope:

Mylenium
11-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Well, for the most part you handled your connection points the wron way. This breaks surface flow. You should not have extruded directly from the connecting polys. It would be much better to Smooth Shift the necessary polys and then bevel/ extrude or whatever the newly created side polygons. This will give you some extra polys to compensate distortions and the flow will not be broken that much. Speaking of that, you certainly need to insert some more rows of polygons before the connection points. This will allow you to keep a cleaner cross section and minimise distortion of the polygons. It still won't be perfect however, since LW's SubD algorithm is a bit tricky in such situations. If that's an option for you, you could try freezing your mesh and run the Smoothing tool on the critical areas.

Mylenium

roryonthenet
11-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Thanks, but to tell you the truth that kinda went over my head abit?
The logo was orginally drawn in illustrator, I imported the EPS in and extruded the whole logo out, then simplified alot of the rows ?

Is it simply a matter of repositioning the nodes so that the polygons run in smoother lines with each other where the distortion occurs?

Mylenium
11-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Well, forgive my saying so, but that seems a rather unefficient and somewhat clumsy workflow for two reasons:

a) You don't need the EPS to work your way through if you are using SubDs anyway. An EPS is only useful if you want to keep an exact representation of the original curvature of lines but you lose that when working with Sub's (you more like re-create it by tweaking points)

b) Merging the polygons consumes much more time than creating the Logo from scratch using bevels and extrusions.

Having said that, I have attached an image showing how your connections should look like. With this clean technique you should be able to redo your logo in about 10 minutes or even less. The key point here is making the flows of your main elements independent from each other by using bridge polygons that have no other use than acting as a transitional element.

Mylenium

JDaniel
11-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Everywhere you extruded there's a line because you need to delete the source poly. Select those (lines) polys and delete them . Then the line will be gone.

roryonthenet
11-28-2003, 06:52 AM
Ive read what you've said a couple more times and attempted to fix the problems ive played with the points and made 'just' bridging polys, and am still not having much luck... so this weekend I will be try from scratch.

Thanks!

JDaniel
11-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Can you select that line in poly mode? It's not the points.

roryonthenet
12-01-2003, 02:47 AM
Do you mean a polygon line that is left between 2 points sometimes? If so I don't have any of them, my mesh is as clean as a wistle, which is why I can't understand the prob?
I managed to improve the surfacing by increasing the SubD amount in the Properties Panel, but still have alot of distortion mainly around the top and bottom joints?

Rory

JDaniel
12-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Yes. In this case it would be a circle, left behind where you extruded from.
Try rendering a frame to see if it's there.