PDA

View Full Version : Game Dev - Feedback

lightscape
10-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Hey everyone,

We've got our ears to the ground again, this time we want to know all your feedback for Lightwave in relation to games. We've had a fair bit of feedback already on certain features and bugs within Lightwave, as well as integration with Unreal Engine 4. Lets get this all in one place though, so its easier for us to reply and check.

- What are the workflows and tools you currently use
- What is missing from your current workflow/tools in your opinion
- In terms of training, what do you want? What would help you?
- What's important to you as a game dev?
- Anything else!

We're always looking for ways to bring you new content and improve our existing products. It takes time, but your feedback is invaluable and really helps us with the direction of our products :)

Thanks,
Not a Newtek employee

Lewis
10-01-2014, 03:33 AM
I need Smooth groups (vertex smoothing) tools to be able to edit/add and import/export them for my game models.

50one
10-01-2014, 04:06 AM
Dude, you're just gonna copy all the threads from the Foundry forum?
Since both soft are so similar no need for another thread in another forum;)

S

lightscape
10-01-2014, 04:16 AM
Well its better than starting doom and gloom threads.
And not all of lightwave's needs are exactly the same as modo.
For example modo has decent texture baking tools. Still lots of clean up.
But lightwave really needs its own baking toolset for games that doesn't need third party.
Improved uvtools is another.

50one
10-01-2014, 05:06 AM
It may come as surprise but I think both "Feature requests" and "Doom & gloom" threads are both equally usefull(NOT) and I'm not saying this without backing it wit some facts - just look at the past 8 years of dev and user requests how much of that stuff was implemented?

Besides, since you're bothered enough to copy from one forum to another could you please alter the copy? For instance:

We're always looking for ways to bring you new content and improve our existing products. It takes time, but your feedback is invaluable and really helps us with the direction of our products

It's almost like you're working for Newtek/LWG3D.

sorry if I sound like a 5star A-hole, just being realistic and pointing few things.

MarcusM
10-01-2014, 05:07 AM
All this vehicles and ships i did only in LW and PS. Screenshot is from Unity. For sure LW baking and UV mapping need corrections in few places but is good if someone know how to use it.

Sensei
10-01-2014, 05:37 AM
Not a Newtek employee

But lightwave really needs its own baking toolset for games that doesn't need third party.

If you're not NewTek employee, you statement has no sense..

Baking textures can be done with native LightWave, no need to use 3rd party plugins.

But 3rd party plugins makes baking much easier and faster. What would be sense in writing tools that would be worser than native application? 3rd party extensions are always better than native, one or couple steps forward than the rest of app.

lightscape
10-01-2014, 06:54 AM
sorry if I sound like a 5star A-hole

Thanks for pointing that out. :D Its the only thing that registered.

lightscape
10-01-2014, 06:59 AM
If you're not NewTek employee, you statement has no sense..

Baking textures can be done with native LightWave, no need to use 3rd party plugins.

But 3rd party plugins makes baking much easier and faster. What would be sense in writing tools that would be worser than native application? 3rd party extensions are always better than native, one or couple steps forward than the rest of app.

Sorry Sensei I know your trying to sell your stuff.
But I'm personally not interested in buying every tool lightwave lacks. I'm sure other users don't want to either.

The Foundry knows this and they're trying to flll the gaps that modo needs.
Thats why they're doing these surveys.

Sensei
10-01-2014, 07:05 AM
Foundry/modo from point of view of LightWave is 3rd party product.

Sensei
10-01-2014, 07:29 AM
But I'm personally not interested in buying every tool lightwave lacks. I'm sure other users don't want to either.

Soon they won't be able to, even if they would be begging for it, as there will be nobody to make them in the first place.

GandB
10-01-2014, 08:38 AM
That's great that you're bringing this up, but NT/LW3DG has no interest in game developers. They've proven this over and over.

VonBon
10-01-2014, 09:49 AM
"I" appreciate the effort LightScape. I've been working in UE4 for the last month and a half learning blueprint.
Would be nice that when I finish learning, I could jump into LightWave and not have to jump through hoops to
get Meshes and Animations into the program. Lets start another thread and hopefully people will stay on topic
and not throw their 2 crappy pennies in.

50one
10-01-2014, 01:27 PM
"I" appreciate the effort LightScape. I've been working in UE4 for the last month and a half learning blueprint.
Would be nice that when I finish learning, I could jump into LightWave and not have to jump through hoops to
get Meshes and Animations into the program. Lets start another thread and hopefully people will stay on topic
and not throw their 2 crappy pennies in.

Oh yeah, please do! Cannot wait myself(paying customer) to add my crappy pennies into the other thread too, maybe some devs(Sensei, u got spare minute?:)) will join add their crap too!

As I said I'm not bothered in copying friggin' thread from The Foundry forums, I'm surprised Lightscape didn't bother to change few things in the copy because it's misleading, that's all.

VonBon
10-01-2014, 02:38 PM
O, was I talkn to you ;D

Dodgy
10-02-2014, 02:22 AM
I'm interested in this thread myself. I used Unreal 3 at Team17 in the UK, and managed to get LW animations and meshes into it, so I'm interested in the differences in Unreal4 and LW 11.

spherical
10-02-2014, 02:46 AM
We're always looking for ways to bring you new content and improve our existing products. It takes time, but your feedback is invaluable and really helps us with the direction of our products :)

Thanks,
Not a Newtek employee

Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.

Kaptive
10-02-2014, 04:15 AM
I was going to say something, but I just realised that I'm not wearing any body armour... and goodness knows where my helmet is.

:)

VonBon
10-02-2014, 10:36 AM
I was going to say something, but I just realised that I'm not wearing any body armour... and goodness knows where my helmet is.

:) :ohmy:

Thats right :devil:, Erbody Quite :mad:, I'm start passn out whoopns :twak:

50one
10-02-2014, 04:03 PM
O, was I talkn to you ;D

Certainly I hope so! Otherwise you just simply insulted one of the well knows LW devs...

VonBon
10-03-2014, 02:02 PM
No person, is above being insulted. And saying that a persons 2 cents was crappy is my opinion,
and in this case the comments made weren't constructive to the thread. Also I do think "Both"
of you came off as Dicks in this instance, but hey, that's just my opinion. I didn't know anything
about the foundry forum, cause I don't go there, so for me I wanted to participate in the thread.
It would've been nice if people didn't spew their "Crappy 2 Cents" all over the place because they
don't agree with how the Thread Creator worded their introduction. So I hope we are clear on who
my so called insult is directed at.

50one
10-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Thank you, I'll think about all this in my free time.