PDA

View Full Version : ANIMAT for Blender

hazmat777
09-30-2014, 08:31 PM
What do you guys think about this thing?

http://www.blendernation.com/2014/09/30/animat-widgetless-on-model-animation-in-blender/

Wasn't sure where to post this.

I'm guessing it's similar to Chronosculpt???

safetyman
10-01-2014, 05:08 AM
It's a widget-less animation system, not a sculpting tool. It lets you animate without any interface clutter, whether it's activating shape keys (morph targets) or, I think, animation controls. Looks really cool.

visualbug
10-01-2014, 05:39 AM
is the setup that are using pixar and dreamworks, with the new animation software that they are using,
is good to know that the community programmers are making this add-on for blender :)

jeric_synergy
10-01-2014, 08:35 AM
I couldn't quite figure what was going on: is it just an invisible blend shape mixer?

bazsa73
10-01-2014, 12:00 PM
The only visible action which is almost unnoticable happens somewhere in the middle but it's not quite
enough for common mortals to notice.

RebelHill
10-01-2014, 12:39 PM
I couldn't quite figure what was going on: is it just an invisible blend shape mixer?

Basically yeah... its like maya's virtual slider, but with mesh selection sets to pick the channel.

jeric_synergy
10-01-2014, 05:50 PM
So it's like having invisible sliders tied to shape blends already embedded in the mesh.

Slick, but not exactly world shaking. I think. Maybe it's the greatest thing since sliced bread for CA.

djwaterman
10-01-2014, 08:13 PM
I think it's more than just operating blend shapes, it seems in his example to be moving selected geometry. He also says near the end that he will be including bone operations and stuff, probably it can include any kind of deformation but is up to the user to define which or in what combination.

jeric_synergy
10-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Well, I don't know blender, but he seemed to be selecting blend shapes also, so who knows? I think you'd have to be a real b. user to appreciate what's going on in this video.

And of course blend shapes would move geometry. Just in a very specific way. I can see how this would be a worthwhile addition to the UI just for that-- click an area and it shows you all the potential blend shapes? That's useful. If you could prioritize the shape list, put the most used at the top, damn useful.

safetyman
10-02-2014, 06:06 AM
To be clear: It's not just shape keys that will be able to be manipulated; it will eventually allow bone deformations as well. So you could potentially animate a character without any controls visible -- just grab an arm or leg and start working, or animate expressions, morphs, etc. without any interface clutter.

RebelHill
10-02-2014, 06:31 AM
I'm all for less interface clutter, but you gotta have things done right, else you introduce other problems.

Having actual items does allow you to see exactly what you're picking, imagine for instance you're working without items using such a "mesh pick" system, trying to pose a wrist... you click but "hit" a knucle instead... you may find yourself having to do a lot of orbiting around to be able to grab the right part, which can be no less annoying.

Ofc, there's no reason you can't do a broadly very similar thing now, if unseen controllers is what you want... just use dissolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpasdl_x8ZM

Ryan Roye
10-02-2014, 08:37 AM
CageDeformer does this. Quick demo. Zero endomorphs, 2 weight maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl1nPcFlYHM&feature=youtu.be

I'm working on rigging workflows that involve CageDeformer as there are a lot of misconceptions about the toolset... such as the myth that it is "separate" from the rest of Lightwave and can't take advantage of its constraint systems.