PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric Lights and Reflection Blurring - BUG

tcoursey
09-30-2014, 06:44 PM
It seems there is a bug with reflection blurring and volumetric lights. Anyone ever run across this? Is it known? Reflections of volumetric lights are like welding sparks and never clean up with any more AA. We use volumetric lights in our stage designs it's a must...

Every4thPixel
10-01-2014, 02:10 AM
I'm currently are working on a scene with a reflection blurred floor and some volumetric spotlight but they look fine. The volumetric lights look just as noisy as the rest of the objects that reflect in the floor. Have you tried upping the shading samples? I'm not sure if upping the light samples would fix volumetric noise but you could try that too.

Slartibartfast
10-01-2014, 09:44 AM
If the lights are overly bright it might help to check "limit dynamic range"

Mr_Q
10-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Yes, turn on limit dynamic range. Cap it at 1.2 to 1.5. You may need to leave it at default of 1.0. Season to taste. Also work in sRGB space if not already.

tcoursey
10-01-2014, 10:34 AM
I think it was a combination of things. Clamping (I use Inverse 2 on most lights) and shading samples. It's much better now. Render times are much higher but I can deal with that in times where I need this technique I guess. Thanks everyone.