PDA

View Full Version : Noob level question: Bridge 2 Edges

jeric_synergy
09-29-2014, 11:51 PM
See the jpg:

I'm totally forgetting which tool will do a one-click connection of Edges. Bridge won't do this case ( "Only bordering edges can be bridged. ()" sic --personally those final parens look unprofessional to me.... ) so, which tool?

(The sequence : SEL POINTS>>PERSPICACIOUS QUADS from this starting point works, but that shouldn't be necessary. Nor do I want to whip up an AHK script-- I'm sure I'm just forgetting the proper tool.)

So. Many. Tools. :cry:

I'll hang the noob sign around my neck again....

Waves of light
09-30-2014, 01:19 AM
I don't know of a bridge tool that joins edges from two separate objects (even if they are in the same layer).

My sequence is Select Points, Make Poly. I don't even know of a plugin that would do it either.

jeric_synergy
09-30-2014, 01:35 AM
Well, AHK it is then. No biggy, except Perspicacious Quads actually failed me just a second ago..... :cry: Doesn't happen very often though.

::head scratch:: Hard to believe this doesn't exist-- I still feel I'm just forgetting something obvious.

+++++
BTW, here's why I wanted it: to create the webbing or gap between these 'fingers':

Waves of light
09-30-2014, 01:38 AM
Unless it's one of those 'hidden' functions we've forgotten about, deep in the menu configs.

Waves of light
09-30-2014, 02:11 AM
Edge2Poly - this works, but has the habit of creating a poly with incorrect point order.

Wickedpup
09-30-2014, 04:51 AM
Selecting two edges like in the image (two objects in same layer) and hitting Shift-B (Bridge) gives me the result in front. Isnīt that what youīre looking for?

Assuming your edges are open like mine, I would look for some funky geometry if the bridge tool isnīt working. Cause if you have overlapping geometry you might accidentally make selections as illustrated in this image.... and voila.

Waves of light
09-30-2014, 04:57 AM
That's interesting. Not working here. What version of LW are you using?

I've just tried this in 9.6, 10.1, 11.5.1 and 11.6.2 (all 64bit) and it just doesn't work. Even with simple cubes.

Wickedpup
09-30-2014, 05:08 AM
tested in 9.6, 10.1, 11.5, and 11.6.3.....same result....create box, delete underside, select all polys, copy/paste and move geometry either way so you have two boxes, select two edges and hit shift-B. Use this function a lot when modelling....however shift-B might not be the default shortcut when I think about it.

Waves of light
09-30-2014, 05:21 AM
tested in 9.6, 10.1, 11.5, and 11.6.3.....same result....create box, delete underside, select all polys, copy/paste and move geometry either way so you have two boxes, select two edges and hit shift-B. Use this function a lot when modelling....

Arrrghhh :bangwall:

jeric_synergy
09-30-2014, 09:18 AM
Arrrghhh :bangwall:
+2 :cry:

There it is. Thanks everybody.

Waves of light
09-30-2014, 09:24 AM
+2 :cry:

There it is. Thanks everybody.

I'm putting this one down to the horrible cold I have at the moment + the fact that I'm nearly 40. So :neener:.

Wickedpup
10-01-2014, 01:58 AM
Yeah, that would make a difference. I think that if the bridge tool had worked in your situation (might be wrong here so correct me if that is the case) you would essentially be creating non-manifold geometry.....which is why it does not allow it.

jeric_synergy
10-01-2014, 08:11 AM
"Non-manifold"? Whatevs. Seems a bit arbitrary to moi. I hope it's a mathematical limitation, and not some programmer 'protecting' us from ourselves. But at least there's a work-around.

spherical
10-01-2014, 11:02 PM
"Non-manifold"? Whatevs.

You do know what (s)he means, yes? 'Cuz in certain situations, it's important.

jeric_synergy
10-01-2014, 11:14 PM
You do know what (s)he means, yes? 'Cuz in certain situations, it's important.
No doubt. However, IMO software design, esp for creative software, should err on the side of flexibility.

For instance, fortuitously, the original LW designers/coders decided NOT to limit certain parameters to those that 'make sense'. Negative luminosity, >100% reflectivity, negative thickness of particles and lines, etc.

To certain modeling tasks a closed manifold is very important. If so, there should be a checkbox in the Numeric Panel. But that should be the USER's decision, not the coder.

spherical
10-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Whatevs. I have yet to actually find an instance where not being manifold is a good thing. Probably are some instances where it is useful. Care to show me? 'Cuz, if you've taken time to read my bio, I'm always willing to learn new stuff.

jeric_synergy
10-02-2014, 12:13 AM
I'd expect it to be most useful in non-realistic applications, such as mograph, where you want a stylized look.

But the point is: err on the side of flexibility. Who knows what crazy thing someone like, oh, xswampyx, will figure out to do with a new potential?

Wickedpup
10-02-2014, 01:13 AM
Agree with spherical here. I have yet to experience a use for it. That the bridge tool doesn't allow it in this situation, doesn't mean that you can not produce it, but you have to force Lightwave to do it, which is as it should be IMO.
Oh, and it is HE. :)

Danner
10-02-2014, 01:33 AM
Bridge usually works but I also get the "Only bordering edges can be bridged" error sometimes, so I just temporarily Unweld (ctrl U) the offending polygons then Merge them back after the bridge.

Amurrell
10-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Bridge usually works but I also get the "Only bordering edges can be bridged" error sometimes, so I just temporarily Unweld (ctrl U) the offending polygons then Merge them back after the bridge.

Well I'll be, it sure does work. It must separate the point order relationship with the object when you do it that way. Nice trick, Danner.