PDA

View Full Version : 11.6.3 Transform Tool: seems like some sort of snapping happening???

jeric_synergy
09-29-2014, 08:07 PM
On one of my rare forays into using the 11.n Transform Tool, in one viewport (the first used??? maybe) it seemed to work as expected, but in the other two it exhibited "snapping" type behaviour at different scales, although the zoom of all viewports were the same.

In the first used (??? I think) Front viewport, no snapping.
RIGHT viewport, big unit snapping. Looks like the grid size.
TOP viewport smaller snapping (1/10th grid?)
Perspective, no snapping.

Is this how it's supposed to work? It's quite annoying.

Slartibartfast
09-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Works fine here.. (11.6.2)

jeric_synergy
09-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Did you try it in a standard quad view, all vuports?

Amurrell
09-30-2014, 09:18 AM
It does weird snapping at times, but usually in only one to three view ports, sometimes it is hard to grab any handles and it is hard to pin down a pattern to these things. Sometimes it is only in one viewport and sometimes in all, or all but one. I have found that most of the time it works well, but the time I need it to work really well it doesn't, sometimes as a result of the preselection highlighting, other times I haven't been able to figure out. When in doubt, I go numeric. There are a few angles off axis in my current project and the transform tool has come in really handy, but in dense areas it gets confused, again the preselection highlighting and the tool was worthless.

Slartibartfast
09-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Oh no! I tried again and now I can't get it to work at all! I have never noticed this bad behaviour before.

spherical
09-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Ahh, crap, it's contagious...

jeric_synergy
09-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Oh no! I tried again and now I can't get it to work at all! I have never noticed this bad behaviour before.
Bwooo hahahahaha!!!!

Seriously, this tool seems a bit half-baked. I LUVV!!! the concept, but the execution needs some more attention.

It seems like whoever alpha tested it only worked in one window, Perspective probably. (if true) tsk tsk tsk. One must abuse a tool to find its weaknesses. :twak:

jeric_synergy
09-30-2014, 06:02 PM
It does weird snapping at times, but usually in only one to three view ports,
??? So, yer sayin' it's only weird 25% to 75% of the time?

Well, that's mighty laid-back of you. 8~

++++++
I experience weirdness to total non-functionality pretty much every time I use it. IF I thought LW3dG had a useability lab I'd suggest they spend a couple hours watching some USERS trying to use Transform.

But all evidence points to such a lab not existing. :devil:

djwaterman
09-30-2014, 07:16 PM
The transform tool is mighty useful, and I use it a lot as it can solve a lot of problems, however, it does have issues regarding sometimes not working in orthographic views, and also it has an issue with scale, or I should say zoom, if you zoom in too close it may not work, also, the tool itself does not remain a consistent size, so that if you zoom in real close, the tool becomes huge and thus can't really be handled. Also there is that thing of having to wait a moment for the program to kick into the transform tools mode before it can be used. Apart from that it is magic.

If these things could be fixed so that the tool just works as it is designed to work, that would make a good tool great.

spherical
09-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Docs say that Transform Tool is a LightWave Object and can be edited. Anyone done that?

Second question is: Does it always work as expected in Perspective? From the list in the first post, I'd say "yes". SO, perhaps that is where it is intended to be used; seeing as how it has all those handles that confine the effect to a given axis or set of axes, yes? Also says it "uses the New Mesh System". Seems to me that this tool is something that would be the norm when working in a Unified Environment which, quite often, is in Perspective mode and you use axis-constrained tools to do your work; similar to LWCAD in LightWave and Modo, and....

jeric_synergy
09-30-2014, 09:40 PM
I think the GIZMO is the LWO.

Be that all as it may, just because it may work in Perspective mode BEST doesn't lift the onus of also working in the other views. And as someone above says, it has multiple other problems plaguing it.

Like I said: half-baked. Doesn't mean it won't be delicious when it's fully baked.

jeric_synergy
10-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Yeah, just spent 15 minutes struggling w/Transform.... really seems dodgy in the sub-millimeter grid size range, once I got back up to 2mm g.size became much more responsive.

Couldn't get the gizmo to light up/activate at all below 1mm g.size. --hopefully that's the cricitcal piece of info that will allow LW3dG to fix that darn thing.

spherical
10-01-2014, 02:40 AM
Be that all as it may, just because it may work in Perspective mode BEST doesn't lift the onus of also working in the other views.

Tell that to the Bend Tool.

Amurrell
10-01-2014, 05:35 PM
??? So, yer sayin' it's only weird 25% to 75% of the time?

Well, that's mighty laid-back of you. 8~

++++++
I experience weirdness to total non-functionality pretty much every time I use it. IF I thought LW3dG had a useability lab I'd suggest they spend a couple hours watching some USERS trying to use Transform.

But all evidence points to such a lab not existing. :devil:

Not sure how I would define it lol . l Would say that it works most of the time as intended, but at other times I want to run my head through one of my monitors in frustration. The problem can be hard to reproduce with any accuracy.But more often than not, I have issues with Preselection highlighting messing with my flow.

jeric_synergy
10-01-2014, 05:40 PM
See, that's good user feedback. My trouble is I can't separate bugs from "unfamiliar workflow", although I think SCALE has become pretty clearly a bug (too small, and it just doesn't work).

Amurrell
10-03-2014, 05:14 AM
See, that's good user feedback. My trouble is I can't separate bugs from "unfamiliar workflow", although I think SCALE has become pretty clearly a bug (too small, and it just doesn't work).

I concur. Yesterday I can clearly say that the transform tool was pissing me off, and it had to do with scale, and did the snapping thing again. To be able to move it I had to zoom out far enough to grab a handle but then the thing I was trying to move was too small to see. Or if I zoomed in to see what I was doing, the gizmo was too small to grab. So in a fit of frustration I had to use the good old move and drag tools, but suffered from a lack of accuracy. Guess I'm going to have to get edge slide when I'm in a pinch.

djwaterman
10-03-2014, 07:51 AM
It would be good if they could keep the gizmo at a constant sensible size no matter how far or close one is to it. Also, have you noticed, if you have a background layer showing, the tool gets confused and tries to select stuff in that background layer as well as the layer you're in. I'm sure it will get sorted in future as it is quite the star player of the new modeling tools.

jeric_synergy
10-03-2014, 09:22 AM
... a constant sensible size ....
"...a constant USER DEFINABLE size..." and I'm on-board.

Yeah, it's definitely chockablock with POTENTIAL, but not there yet.

ianr
10-03-2014, 09:39 AM
May I suggest that you collectively Fog-Buz it,

+ your Mods, then it's on their LW3DG system.

Then lobby against the case number for Fix,

Good luck!

spherical
10-03-2014, 08:44 PM
It would be good if they could keep the gizmo at a constant sensible size no matter how far or close one is to it.

Well, it's a LWO. Can a node setup be devised that would inverse control its size based upon viewport zoom or distance to the selected object or... or...?