PDA

View Full Version : 3Play 425 stutters on playback

Jason Goldammer
09-29-2014, 02:17 PM
My 3Play 425 does not have smooth playback of video when recording 4 channels of video. The choppy playback isn't a consistent frame rate, but it appears to look like 5 frames per second on average. My input is SDI coming straight from the CCU at 720_60p. (I have tried 1080i with no luck also.) I haven't tried 480i because that would defeat the purpose of spending $100,000 on new HD cameras. The only thing that HAS worked was to record only one camera per hard drive. Since there are only two internal hard drives I am limited on capturing action from two camera positions and therefore I usually miss out on that all-important replay.

Since 1 camera per hard drive indicates to me that the drives can't keep up with the data rate, is there a way to reduce the data rate that I'm not aware of?

I'm not trying to do anything that I would consider "fancy" with the 3Play, like use A+B or record audio. I just want smooth playback.

Shouldn't the 3Play 425 work right out of the box? Why else would Newtek ship it?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Jason

brians0105
09-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Hi Jason,

Yes, it should certainly work right out of the box and you should be able to perform all functions it is designed to do, including A+B playback if you so choose. Have you tried contacting Customer Support? I'm sure they would agree something isn't quite right.

We use o 425 in our production truck and have had an issue similar to this. We discovered the issue only occurred when we started recording when one or more inputs didn't have sync... or an incoming video signal. Is a signal present on all four inputs when you initially start recording? That's my only suggestion right off the bat.

There are other troubleshooting tips you can attempt such as defragmenting the hard drives or performing a restore to factory settings. But I doubt these will be helpful if this is a new unit.

Brian

Zane Condren
09-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Hi Jason,

Please contact customer support http://www.newtek.com/contact-us.html and open a case. We even offer chat support now so you don't even have to make a phone call.

John Phillips
10-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Jason,

You're not the only one. We're on our fourth 3Play unit now. 3x 425s and 1x 440. I'm going crazy trying to find a solution to this.

kanep
10-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Question, what kind of audio (embedded or analog?) are you recording on your 3PLAY inputs?

Jason Goldammer
11-02-2014, 01:14 PM
To anyone following this thread for updates on my situation, my 3Play is currently in the hands of Newtek. When it returns I will post a report. To Kane P: no audio is being recorded. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions thus far. I will hopefully report back soon.

Snowjogging
09-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Anything new on this case Jaon?

BrandonHite
10-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Wondering if your issue has been resolved. My setup causes the same results as described in this thread. Spoke to Newtek tech support and they ran disk diagnostics an determined that both of my drives E & D are not performing as they should. I have an RMA and will be sending it in soon.

brians0105
10-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Hi Brandon -- this is Brian from ScheffTech Productions and Bradley University. We still have the occasional problem with this, but we narrowed it down to non-synced/genlocked sources going to the 3Play. Sometimes the non-synced sources cause the 3Play to stutter when the operator first starts recording.

However, our solution has been that the operator MUST CHECK for the stuttering EVERY TIME they begin recording in a session. If the stuttering is present, they should stop recording and try again. If there is no problem, they should be good to go for until they stop recording.

Are you using synced sources into the 3Play? My guess is no?? Our signal flow is cameras via ATEM Camera Converters--->ATEM Studio Converter--->video router--->3Play Inputs

Brian

BrandonHite
10-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Hi Brian- Our setup is identical to yours. However I am able to reproduce the problem using two synced sourced to all four inputs. From our last Football game highlights Indiana St, playing back the playlist first half highlights, it stutters occasionally and progressively worse if in loop mode. It doesn't stutter if playing back playlist with no record. As soon as record is enabled (With synced inputs) it starts stuttering.

I watched them perform the tests on the drives. The D drive has lower avg read/write than the E drive. I do feel the the synced/non-synced inputs are an issue too.

brians0105
10-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Interesting -- let me know how resolve your situation, which sounds like is partially due to a bad drive.

BrandonHite
10-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Yea- Problem is getting it to them and back during all these events... I'll let you know -B

PIZAZZ
10-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Hey Guys, Just to add some fodder to the thread. One of our setups is very similar in signal flow as yours, ATEM cam converter to ATEM Studio Converter to BMD router to 3Play 425. We have not seen any stuttering at all like you guys have. the Op starts recording in the morning and never turns it off for the day. The average broadcast day is 10 hours of shooting and as far as I know there hasn't been any issues like you describe.

BrandonHite
10-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Wow Jef-

I'll trade you replay machines..!!! Ha..

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Jef-

I'll trade you replay machines..!!! Ha..

TimD
01-30-2016, 08:54 PM
I am in a similar boat. It sounds the only resolution is to send it back to Newtek.

kanep
01-30-2016, 11:13 PM
A few things to check.

First make sure that you are running the latest update.

If it is still having issues, remove the external drive and see if it works okay with on the internal drive (with only two channels of video). If that works, then replace the removable drive with a new one.

If that doesn't help, contact support.