PDA

View Full Version : Olde School modeler LWO style // Layers, but only one Object in Layout

jeric_synergy
09-29-2014, 09:06 AM
When I was your age.....

IIRC,
Originally, Modeler had Layers BUT when imported into Layout all the layers were combined into one Object, and acted as if , in today's usage, they were all in one Layer. The move to the current practice was called "multi-mesh capability" or some such.

It strikes me that, occasionally, that might still be convenient: a "one piece" object that, in Modeler, is separated into Layers.

Work arounds exist, Parts being one, but I find them inconvenient and feature-poor. (Nobody ever talks about 'Parts'.)

Danner
09-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Also in layout with a few steps you can parent all layers to the first one then lock all the children so they can't be selected. Just a thought, not sure what you want this for.

jeric_synergy
09-29-2014, 12:52 PM
Bah! "Bah!" I say! ;) One of the points of this is just to keep the Scene Editor clear of extraneous "objects", i.e. Layers that don't need to be layers, while retaining the convenience of editing same in Modeler.

Maybe I'm bothered more than others by SE clutter.

Danner
09-29-2014, 01:12 PM
I keep it tidy with color codes, parenting, hiding things I don't want to see etc.

jeric_synergy
09-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I want something more organic. Something I don't have to think about.

The clumsiness of adding new layers is a legacy of the original scheme.