PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the 2D animation options to go along with LW?

Snosrap
09-26-2014, 11:23 PM
I want to add some 2D animated facial expressions to some 3D characters and I was thinking something along the lines of Toon Boom or Anime Studio to create images sequences. Does anyone have any experience with such software or is there a better way to add 2D facial (with some lip sync) to 3D characters? My characters will have flat faces so I was thinking something like these tools might work. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Dodgy
09-27-2014, 02:39 AM
You might want to watch this video I made a couple of months ago.

http://youtu.be/4hEgE3m50Hw?list=UUV1ks2APY9Mn21UlSJe4IcQ

djwaterman
09-27-2014, 04:01 AM
Check out this image sequence plugin from db&W http://www.db-w.com/products/framed/videos

You could just make mouth shapes and stuff in Photoshop or Illustrator rather than learn a whole new animation software. I use Anime Studio, it would work, but you'd be exporting a synced up sequence, frame D allows you to put that together in Lightwave using a library of shapes. Download the manual and see if it makes sense to you.

ernpchan
09-27-2014, 09:47 AM
I definitely recommend frameD. Since you can make the playlist in frameD you really just need something to make the shapes which could be done in any image editing software.

If you just need to make mouth shapes ToonBoom is probably overkill. It's going to be the more expensive of all the options. If you have AfterEffects you could bring your stills into there and make smaller clips where you deform the drawing to get more mileage out of a single drawing. We did that on Kung Fu Panda. You'd be surprised at how much you can get out of a little working that way.

Snosrap
09-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys for the all input. You're a genius Dodgy!

tyrot
09-27-2014, 06:10 PM
totally agree!

Dodgy
09-28-2014, 12:40 AM
Thanks, I just needed to do something similar myself for a job, so I cobbled that together since I prefer doing stuff in lw for easy changing later.