PDA

View Full Version : Calling All LightWave Artists

WilliamVaughan
09-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Two weeks ago, Jeff Scheetz launched his KickStarter campaign with a goal of creating an animated movie. Jeff has been a long time LightWave user and has helped kickstart hundreds of LightWave artists’ careers. Any support the LightWave community can give this project would be appreciated….. I’d love to see him hit his goal, hire artists and produce a fun sci-fi movie.
Help spread the word and if it’s within means…. Pledge and choose one of the cool rewards.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jscheetz/nasa-seals

WilliamVaughan
09-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Was talking with Cody and he mentioned it might not be obvious so I thought I would add that this is a LightWave project. My apologies if that wasnt made clear.

Chernoby
10-06-2014, 07:17 PM
To arms! To arms! Everyone if you can't back it then at least share the kickstarter link by email, Disgracebook it, and/or Tweet it.

CaptainMarlowe
10-21-2014, 12:30 PM
The project went above 40,000 $ with my pledge. Only 3 days left, hope they'll make it.

WilliamVaughan
10-21-2014, 12:34 PM
I upped my pledge this morning in hopes of helping see it to the goal. So close!

Mr_Q
10-21-2014, 12:54 PM
I have lost count how many Kickstarters I've backed that have never finished. I'm burned out.

shrox
10-21-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't care for the low rez look mainly.

CaptainMarlowe
10-22-2014, 11:16 PM
47500$ now out of 55000$ and only 2 days left. If they don't make it now, it will be so frustrating...

Kaptive
10-23-2014, 04:18 AM
To be honest, I'm really not very keen on the subject matter. Arming Nasa and militarising space isn't a concept I think should be pushed into a kids minds via a cartoon. That might sound a bit fuddy duddy, but there is a big difference between say "Space cops" and "National Aeronautics and Space Administration with Guns". It is the linking of violence to what is an institution that should be there to inspire kids into science and wonder, not "let's shoot some aliens".

There are lots of ways of approaching this concept, this one just isn't something I can back and feel happy about it. Sorry to be such a grouch! I do wish Jeff well, but if this one doesn't work out, I'd maybe try something a little less real world, and simply go for "Earth Defense Force!". Or if it must be based in reality, then base it on the already existing "Air Force Space Command" (conspiracies abound on that one). Just not Nasa...

I feel like a real A-hole for saying this stuff, am I alone in thinking it? Anyway, like I say, I wish Jeff well and the best of luck all the same!

CaptainMarlowe
10-23-2014, 04:48 AM
Why would you feel like a A-hole ? Everybody is entitled to its convictions and your concern is understandable.
From my point of view, I sure don't intend to show this to my daughters. But as an old child myself, I don't mind the background of the movie. Some child-oriented cartoons I see on networks (which my children don't have access to, since In control what they see very closely) can sure be much more violent and sometimes even gross.
I found in the trailer a good ol' roughneck chronicles feeling that reminded me of this excellent series which, along with B5, was quite a point for me to choose Lightwave as my main tool. :)

ianr
10-23-2014, 06:03 AM
It's a good thing Prof.Carl Sagon is not alive,
God, would he have ripped into this one!

Because this seems poorly conceived & suffers from
the whiff of misplaced jingoism!
Kaptive has a V.G.point, look how Sony *8loxsed
-up 'Dan-Dare'.Hmmm.but this more!

Is it a knee jerk against NASA's slipping &
diminishing budgets via Homeland stupidity?

Three words: Exportable Infantile Propaganda.

shrox
10-23-2014, 11:36 AM

BeeVee
10-24-2014, 06:56 AM
I just bumped my contribution in order to try and help meet the target in the twelve hours left. For me, yes the subject matter is slightly questionable, but the concept of the animation is great and it would be good to see LightWave back in the cinema doncha think?

B

shrox
10-24-2014, 11:09 AM
One thing that concerns me, NASA will probably object to the name. They do keep watch over their name.

djwaterman
10-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Alas, didn't get there, fell short by just a few thousand.

shrox
10-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Alas, didn't get there, fell short by just a few thousand.

Well darn. I wrote to Jeff about the name, they had a few back-ups in mind.

WilliamVaughan
10-24-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm bummed he didnt hit his goal. He worked really hard on the campaign and was so close.

I hope he still finds success in the project using an alternative plan.

OnlineRender
10-24-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm bummed he didnt hit his goal. He worked really hard on the campaign and was so close.

I hope he still finds success in the project using an alternative plan.

gutted

CaptainMarlowe
10-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Yes, so close, and yet, so far...

ianr
10-25-2014, 07:49 AM
Kaptive & shrox,
Have good positive points for a quick turn
around rewrite,& that I can assure you all happens alot.

Grab the momentum fire up Final Draft & swap out the
title for a new one, for a start! Say like Astro-Seals.

Then rekickstarter after content mods.

Grab the momentum & swerve with the edits!

WilliamVaughan
10-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Just got this email:

Jeff Scheetz says:

Dear NASAS SEALS BACKERS,

We’re going to go again!

On Friday October 24th the original NASA SEALS Campaign ended unsuccessfully with 93% of our funding. 30 minutes before, a backer sent in the final payment to close the gap. We waited to see the update and it never came.

At 10 minutes out a friend of mine pushed his pledge high enough to close the campaign. Amazon sent a notice that it went through but his Kickstarter page had a message that his pledge was still processing. The drama built and at 5 minutes out another friend rushed to do the same. It was like trying to diffuse a bomb, we refreshed the page every 2 seconds, and watched in horror as the final seconds ran out…

I don’t think we will ever know why this happened. But once Amazon released the charge authorizations for all 222 backers (about a minute later) there isn’t much that can be done. Or is there?

We still have a great project, awesome rewards and a lot of people are interested in supporting it. So this is Take II. For the next 5 days we are asking our backers to re-pledge our project as soon as possible. We are still seeking the same amount of support, but lowered the minimum funding goal. It’s just that simple.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jscheetz/nasa-seals-take-2

IF YOU ARE NEW TO KICKSTARTER:

The pledge you already made was never charged to your card and we can only raise money if you pledge the new campaign.

While the pages look very similar you can only back NASA SEALS TAKE 2.

OnlineRender
10-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Game on!

pauland
10-27-2014, 06:41 AM
Err.. the funding target dropped by $45,000 !

WilliamVaughan
10-27-2014, 07:01 AM
Err.. the funding target dropped by $45,000 !

I think his only goal is to get the backers he had before to re-pledge.

CaptainMarlowe
10-27-2014, 09:15 AM
At least, he is now sure to get the money, since they are above 10k, now.