PDA

View Full Version : Letters Fly to Random Point in Point Cloud - DP Part Move??

dwalker_88
09-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Hello,

I'm completely stumped on this one.

I'm looking to make individual letters "Fly" off a page, one-by-one, (probably best driven by a distance Null setup?) and connect to a random point in a point cloud.

I've watched Bryphi77's Domino tutorial on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZloipEnltg&list=UURnCjWjPOPzdWZlKfzF1WRw) and although his outcome isn't exactly what I want and he uses instances I thought it was a good starting point.

I'm not sure whether I can space my letters out in Layout or Modeler to form the words I want and then use Part Move on them but I think I might be able to use Part Info and a Null. Would you say that sounds feasible?

My biggest headache, however, is getting the letters to "Fly". Even though the tutorial is incredible in depth, when I plug a gradient Node into the tree to blend between the parts being at their base positions, to their position on a random point it throws the base position out and makes the parts move to random positions nowhere near the point cloud. Below are a few screen shots of my scene and Node tree.

Text starting position (after initial part move)

Text connect to random points

Text starting position (after initial part move) when connected to a gradient

Node tree

If anyone could help me I'd be incredible grateful.

Thanks,
David

Slartibartfast
09-29-2014, 12:51 PM
I hardly recognize what you want to do, but attached is a scene where you can make a null adhere to a particle or another null, or somewhere in between. All controlled by a keyframed controller null. Maybe you can use this do accomplish what you want.

Good Luck!

jeric_synergy
09-29-2014, 12:56 PM
That issue (" blend between the parts being at their base positions, to their position on a random point it throws the base position out and makes the parts move to random positions nowhere near the point cloud. ") sounds familiar... I think Bryphii actuall addresses it in a similar tute (same tute?) Something about having to subtract the offset....??? Compensate for ....??

When watching Bryan's tutes it's a Really Good Idea to take timeline notes so you can find details that otherwise would take hours of searching.

bazsa73
09-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Flocking can do this.
Open up the Flocking panel.
Add New -> From Scene Items -> Generator Mesh Polys/Points? (I dont know exactly)
Select your destination object, your point cloud and
Add New -> From Scene Items -> Director Goal

Now under Agents tab play with Range, Cohesion range, Match velocity, usually the lower you set these values
agents get closer. I have tested flocking recently. It can be tricky sometimes but you cant do this with particles.
And save Pfx instead of cache. There is a bug I have already reported.

--Edit--
Question is now of course: How you attach your parts to the flocking agents?

jeric_synergy
09-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Something from DPKit, no doubt.

DAMAKERS
09-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Hello David

Bryphi77 have a tutorial were he makes letters fly from a text to a point cloud using dp nodes, maybe is what ur looking for

Heres the link of the first part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_AMuRBIwmg

dwalker_88
09-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the info. everyone - and the scene file, Slartibartfast.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear in my initial post.

I'm basically looking to animate text pealing off a page and then group up with a cloud of text swirling around in a room.

Here is a concept of what I have in my head:

I was hoping to combine both Bryan's Domino and Tornado tutorials to create the effect but looked at Flocking when I got a little stumped with DP Kit. Hit the same question as bazsa73 though: how to attach the parts? jeric_synergy, as you say, I'm sure there is probably something in DP's bag of tricks that will do the job.

This is just a personal project and I'm only jumping into it when I have the time. Will take another look at Flocking and Bryan's node tutorials, it's probably something I'm just overlooking.

I'll update this thread with my progress if anyone is interested.

Thank you again,
David

P.S. Thanks DAMAKERS, I viewed that tutorial playlist some time ago - I don't think it is exactly what I want but I may be able to take something from it.

Slartibartfast
09-30-2014, 10:48 PM
how to attach the parts?

Not tested thoroughly due to work, but here is a setup that appears to do that:

It's a nodal displacement with DP part move