PDA

View Full Version : black hole...

renderingfarmer
11-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Hey, I've recently got a job requiring me to make a representation of a black hole. I'm not getting the results I'd hoped for, can anyone lend some advice?

Actually the reason I'm posting is I remember a thread a few weeks ago on a very similar topic, I think it was for a worm hole or something, someone trying to recreate the effect he'd seen in a movie, and I'm sitting here wishing I'd read that thread more intently. Does anyone know where it is? I can't seem to find it. thanks in advance.

WizCraker
11-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Well you can't see a black hole but you can make the event horizon and the reflection of light type of thing going into the black hole [looks kind of like a hourglass that the skinny part would be at the center of the hole]. Look at the NASA Hubble photo's of black holes then model from those.

A Mejias
11-26-2003, 07:26 PM
Well, it depends on the how accurate the science is that you are basing your black hole design.

There is the classic sci-fi black hole that is usually depicted like a tunnel or worm hole.

In fact a black hole is not a hole at all, but a very massive star that has collapsed to a very small size. What you seeing is all the matter falling into it. It usually forms a glowing rotating disk around the old star.

You seem to want the sci-fi type. There should be one here:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Also look around for the tutorial on making a Babylon 5 jump-gate.

Do you have any sketches or example images of the effect you want?

renderingfarmer
11-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your quick responses! I've read up on black holes already, and yes I'm trying to use the more "visual" representation.
For example I found this on GIS:
http://amazing-space.stsci.edu/resources/explorations/blackholes/teacher/graphics/black%20hole%20diagram.jpg
and combine that with:
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0009/18xrayholes/blackhole.jpg

Anyhoo, thanks for the tutorial link. I'll look into that. If I get something together soon I'll post it in the WIP forum.

A Mejias
11-26-2003, 09:24 PM
The two images you posted are definitive examples of the two forms I mentioned.

The first is a 2D representation of a 3D phenomena. It's often used to illustrate how gravity warps space in the General Relativity model. This 2D image is what black holes are based on in most sci-fi works. (Note: I make a distinction between sci-fi and SF.)

The second is what a real black hole would look like if we could get close enough. The reason it looks flat is that itís rotating and pulling matter in from itís system where the planets and most mass lies on the same plane. (It looks a bit like a small galaxy.) The matter falling moves so fast it glows because of heat from friction.

The near vertical blue white line in the image illustrates how the poles shoot out intense X-ray jets from the energy produced by the falling matter. Note that only one is shown in the illustration there should be another X-ray jet coming out of the lower pole. Itís like a giant generator.

renderingfarmer
11-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Wow. You know your stuff. If I have any questions, I know who to bug. hehe.