PDA

View Full Version : MOI3D version 3 ready "soft release"

visualbug
09-23-2014, 11:21 PM
MOI3D version 3 "soft release"

ok lightwave people that need an excellent nurbs modeller moi3d michael "ex-rhino" developer a "solo" warrior is releasing his gem:
moi 3d, next week is going to be official, now is a soft release inside the forum, so if you where waiting for this here it is:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2014/09/michael-gibson-releases-moi-3/

multi-touch, new tools, and the best .obj exporter from nurbs on the market, wacom support, well, modeling with a wacom tablet is a pleasure,
and to import models in lightwave for rendering is awesome. the best and affordable nurbs modeler on the market.

enjoy!124455

tyrot
09-24-2014, 12:58 AM
thanks for posting... it looks pretty neat...

jwiede
09-24-2014, 01:31 AM
It's nice that it is finally out of beta, about the only downside is that now it is time to pay for the upgrade, but it is well worth it.

Dodgy
09-24-2014, 02:15 AM
Anyone tried the new vertex normal maps from this? I was in the middle of writing a script to invert the Z-normal (since it renders backwards in LW) and it appears he's fixed it in his comments.

prometheus
09-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Yes..I liked moi when I tested the demos, maybe it needed some more tools, and perhaps reducing the toolbar size a little if possible, I also had issues of it not being able to load larger iges files, it choked when it was to dense.

But the general workflow and UI was nice to work with and understand how to perform operations etc.
I will keep an eye on it and indeed I have wondered when it would take of to higher levels, I also have to wait for what happens with lw cad and itīs supposed nurbs arrival, and even lightwave 12 maybe, so those are more a priority one.

octopus2000
09-24-2014, 12:50 PM
is there any chance moi3d v3 have dealt with the lwo exporter problems. right now, when you export any model from moi3d to lightwave, when you open it in lightwave every face from moi turns into single objects instead of one solid object.

Dodgy
09-24-2014, 06:42 PM
We use MOI 2 almost every day for conversion, and I can't say i've seen this. There's some disconnect within some parts, but not ever face being separate. We're loading STP files into MOI and exporting to LWO.
Each type of object (nuts, bolts etc) come in a separate layer, which makes it fairly easy to surface them and then compile them into more limited layer counts. I have to remove UVs to cut down on file size, and I've been removing the Vertex normal maps as well (Normals were inverted from LW's POV, and smoothing angle usually works fairly well, or splitting edges).