PDA

View Full Version : Product News: NewTek Talkshow

SBowie
09-12-2014, 08:53 AM
So ... this is new, announced at IBC: http://www.newtek.com/products/talkshow :)

More here (and elsewhere all over the web today): http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143446-NewTek-TalkShow-Video-Calling-Production-System-for-TV-Studios-amp-Live-Event-Producers

TPUC
09-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Wish they would tell us the cost of new products with out having to call and getting a quote.

PIZAZZ
09-12-2014, 09:40 AM
US MSRP introductory price is $3995

SBowie
09-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Wish they would tell us the cost of new products with out having to call and getting a quote.It's in the press release linked from Chuck's announcement post. We're very pleased to have been selected to build this line among a very small number of hand-picked firms drawn from around the world.

SBowie
09-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Teradek posted quite a good interview with NewTek's Phillip Nelson that discusses TalkShow on Vimeo. It's an engaging conversation, with some neat TriCaster anecdotes as well - highly recommended viewing: http://vimeo.com/105963769

SBowie
09-15-2014, 02:23 PM
I've been playing with this thing a bit today, and am really quite impressed with the SDI video output quality from the SkypeTX box. Latency, framerate and image quality are much better than I've seen previously (a good framerate makes all the difference imho).

Just for interest's sake, here's a screengrab with the B source coming in over SDI from the box. The source is a cheap webcam (640x480) ... looking forward to trying a better one.

speaker2a
09-15-2014, 09:16 PM
I had a project a few months ago where we had an employee appear as a guest on a weekly web program that uses a TriCaster. They required that we connect with them via Skype but we also wanted to switch cameras on our end so we used our TriCaster. We used Kane's white paper to help us connect to Skype but had some serious echo with our audio (after much troubleshooting the problem was with the PC providing the Skype connection).

Could we use Talkshow at our remote location to connect with a studio requiring Skype?

At NAB last spring I spoke with the Microsoft Skype folks just a few booths down from NewTek and they were promising a similar type of appliance. I'm very excited to see NewTek offering their version!

SBowie
09-16-2014, 01:58 PM
... but had some serious echo with our audio (after much troubleshooting the problem was with the PC providing the Skype connection).With or without TalkShow, what you need to set up for the Skype return is what is known as a 'mix-minus' - that is, the audio you send back to the remote interviewee by Skype is the program audio minus his contribution to it when he is on the air. You typically set this up on the TriCaster's Aux audio output using the routing options. Having done that, it should be good.

Could we use Talkshow at our remote location to connect with a studio requiring Skype?You could conceivably use two Talkshow units in a case like that. Ordinarily you only need one, at the 'switcher end' of the pipeline - but I can see many settings (including corporate) where both ends of the chain would be running mixers.

At NAB last spring I spoke with the Microsoft Skype folks just a few booths down from NewTek and they were promising a similar type of appliance. I'm very excited to see NewTek offering their version!This is the MicroSoft solution. They decided to partner with selected manufacturers to produce their SkypeTX solution. See https://media.skype.com/skype-tx/whats-new/

kanep
09-16-2014, 04:18 PM
We used Kane's white paper to help us connect to Skype but had some serious echo with our audio (after much troubleshooting the problem was with the PC providing the Skype connection).

I just want to add, that while my white paper (which as far as I know still works), it is a hack. TalkShow is by far a better and easier solution to use. There is also the possibility that my 'hack' solution might stop working at some point. Microsoft has (and is) making changes and improvements to the Skype API that could break the method described in my white paper.

In short, if you are depending on Skype in your workflows, you really should look at TalkShow.

Dominicc
09-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Will this allow multiple callers coming in via the software on Skype and then you are just selecting who to put up on air?

kanep
09-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Each TalkShow unit handles a single Skype connection. There is a software application that allows you to control multiple TalkShow units from a central interface. If you wanted multiple callers you can pipe each TalkShow unit into your TriCaster (or other switcher [gasp!]) via SDI or NET inputs and then use an M/E to put them together on screen.

OnlineRender
09-23-2014, 07:20 PM
nice ... no idea what it does but congrats :)

SBowie
09-23-2014, 08:25 PM
nice ... no idea what it does but congrats :)Thanks, it's pretty exciting. Here's some info on the general topic: https://media.skype.com/skype-tx/whats-new/

sami
09-24-2014, 01:40 AM
It does sound cool. But Newtek should eventually add the encrypted Mega video conferencing browser app support as well - that way they can talk to the really cool people hiding in foreign countries and South American embassies too... ;)

Dominicc
09-24-2014, 08:14 AM
Thanks Steve and Kane!!!! Kudos I can't wait to get one. Wish someone would have picked us for a beta tester....

jcupp
09-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Each TalkShow unit handles a single Skype connection. There is a software application that allows you to control multiple TalkShow units from a central interface. If you wanted multiple callers you can pipe each TalkShow unit into your TriCaster (or other switcher [gasp!]) via SDI or NET inputs and then use an M/E to put them together on screen.

So I can't have a second interviewee cued up while the first is still on? If not consider this a feature request.

m4a2000
09-24-2014, 01:53 PM
If a single TalkShow can handle a single call then what kind of wiring layout would we be looking at so you could get audio between 2 or more TalkShows and an anchor on set?

SBowie
09-24-2014, 03:14 PM
While there is potential for unspecified other possibilities in time, for now you'd need to plan for outboard routing of a/v signals.

For example, a single upstream d/a could supply program output over SDI to a number of TalkShow units for return to the respective remote callers. On the 'send to mixer' side, you could variously use a router between multiple TalkShow units and a single mixer input, or you could run output from each TalkShow to an SDI input and let the Switcher operator choose which to display.

Those with TriCasters gain some extra benefits, in that you can use the Network output to supply the return feed to one TalkShow unit, without needing an SDI connection; also, you could feed Skype call output from two TalkShow units to TriCaster's two Net inputs, switching them freely without SDI cabling.

There are variations on this, of course, but in general this is how things would go...

jkerry211
10-13-2014, 08:35 AM
So if I am reading the post correctly, we can only have 1 Skype video at a time with out having to have multi Talk Show units. We were hoping that it would allow 2-3 people on Skype at a time.

SBowie
10-13-2014, 09:08 AM
That's correct. Skype and Microsoft develop the software providing the base level functionality for TalkShow, and at present, the concept involves 1 unit per Skype call, with local control on that unit's via its "Skype TX Client" interface, with somewhat more limited control over multiple units hosted on an external system if desired by software called "Skype TX Control". At this time, the latter is the means by which multiple channels can be supported. (Since the units are 1RU, they don't take up a lot of space in a rack.)

jkerry211
10-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Is there a manual for download yet. As I am trying to get the minister to OK on this purchase.

SBowie
10-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Not yet, sorry. We can try to answer any questions you have though.

jkerry211
10-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Not yet, sorry. We can try to answer any questions you have though.

Thanks Steve, just wanted to do some reading up to give the ministers more info. Will use what he site has for now.