PDA

View Full Version : How long before virtual environments becomes equal to the real world?

prometheus
09-23-2014, 06:05 PM
So...when will the virtual worlds of real outside worlds reach the level of almost impossible to tell from the real world.
That means trees and grass swaying in the wind, water flowing and waves breaking...snow and mist and clouds moving around us, bees. flies and dragon flies buzzing and common swift chirping
when flying high above our heads in a virtual real time world for both eyes, and you will hardly be able to tell that the world you are in are virtual..if it werenīt for the oculus rift styled googles you have on your head.

At least 15 years...(probably more) or when do you guys think the tech will show up?
Maybe it should be two different time approximations, one for some expensive research facility/entertainment industry/company.
And one for us ordinary home user...which undoubtly will be taking longer to acess I think.

One day, rendering will be rendered useless:D

Edited...added some more careful thinking...and I donīt see it happening within 25 years.
Michael

Riff_Masteroff
09-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Now . . . . right now . . . . . . 'we' have remotely piloted drones shooting rockets at real ppl . . . . often . . . . alot . . . . . .remotely piloted using virtual reality from continents away

meshpig
09-24-2014, 01:39 AM
The Holographic Universe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Talbot_(author)) type thing?

Ernest
09-24-2014, 06:21 AM
snow and mist and clouds moving around us, bees. flies and dragon flies buzzing and common swift chirping

If I pay good money to escape this world into a virtual world, it very well better not have any flies... or mosquitoes!

prometheus
09-24-2014, 06:59 AM
If I pay good money to escape this world into a virtual world, it very well better not have any flies... or mosquitoes!

yeah..bees and dragonflies I can accept, dragonflies are amazing to watch and bees, well we canīt be without the honey.
mosquitoes..pretty annoying things, but I guess they fill a purpose..and in the virtual world, it would not make any sense having birds flying around in the air...since their is no flies or mosquites to hunt.

But I reckon we can bend the rules of the virtual world a little...after these posts...The big question no one dears to predict remains..
when do you guys believe virtual reality will reach a good level of realism? in terms of visual realism.

Rayek
09-25-2014, 12:53 AM
The Holographic Universe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Talbot_(author)) type thing?

I agree. You do realize we already "live" in a "virtual" reality, do you not? Our brains filter more than 99.9999999% of all of the information that the universe throws at us. Our brains ARE the ultimate "Oculus Rift", in a sense.

Anyway - I have your answer: not until the Holodeck is invented. That may take a while, though.

prometheus
09-25-2014, 07:53 AM
I agree. You do realize we already "live" in a "virtual" reality, do you not? Our brains filter more than 99.9999999% of all of the information that the universe throws at us. Our brains ARE the ultimate "Oculus Rift", in a sense.

Anyway - I have your answer: not until the Holodeck is invented. That may take a while, though.

I could settle for less for "virtual reality" no holodeck needed if oculus rift could display 3d worlds in realism glory, the holodeck I donīt think will be possible, unless having a holodeck stadium covering 8 km or miles for the mountains.

Davewriter
09-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Boy, a combination of that and then something like the tech from the film "Brainstorm." But I guess that's when I discover I really am only part of the Matrix.

prometheus
09-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Boy, a combination of that and then something like the tech from the film "Brainstorm." But I guess that's when I discover I really am only part of the Matrix.

Uhmm...my primordial insticts got awaken here...I see no wrong by setting enjoyable moments like in brainstorm to a long repeat:D even though it goes beyond reality and becomes fantasy.

XswampyX
09-26-2014, 06:32 PM
I've got the Oculus DK2 and Outerra and it's pretty amazing!

Flying around the whole of the world with the sun rising behind some mountains or trees is beyond anything I ever thought I would get from a computer simulation. To go from PacMan C..... in 1980 to what we have now in 2014 is just staggering and I can't wait for the next 34 years.

Having said that, I don't think it will ever be as good as the real thing, but then I can't fly a Mig 29.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfo3uGPNLd0

prometheus
09-27-2014, 06:24 AM
yes..outerra looks pretty darn good, but as you mentioned..we have to wait a long long time before and if it reaches full realism viusally, as of today long distance showcase of landscape can look very real, at medium distance it can still look good but directly noticeable as cg terrain, and and close up..it just becomes to low res computer game elements, so the close up detail and textures is the huge challenge to deal with.
But pretty amazing to see that landscape stuff anyway with fog and mist..even though it lacks full quality in that too.
I think maybe 10-15 years before we se computer performance and ram memory expanding and software tech that enhances it to be quite decent at medium distance, and yet another 15 years for zooming in at infinite detail maybe.
all that with landscape terrain, water and flora/vegetation...it might be that other elements like volumetrics for smoke,mist and clouds will become more realtime realistic in a closer future.

another level is to incorporate live animals doing there thing...and that will be another huge task...making them animatable doing their thing with repetead non dynamic actions will be hard enough..having them react to terrain and to yourself
in some AI realtime system will probably be the hardest challenge, as it will be with incorporating virtual humans.

But who am I to predict how fast this tech will arrive?...one should ask the proīs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afFb2JU45gA

Sensei
09-27-2014, 07:01 AM
It's not a matter of time ("how long from now"),
it's matter of how long somebody will be refining level..
Which is a result of budget.

Take a photo of your apartment, and make scene which is not possible to recognize from that reference photo. How long it will take you?
One 3d object should be available to reuse in other people work. This way there will be at least reduced time needed to model it. Since beginning it should be high quality. With ultra high quality textures. It's easy to downgrade quality from higher to lower level (manual or automatic). But reverse is not possible.
Engineers are designing a tool. 3D objects they have even before production is started.
They could share them with 3d community to use them in the all games in the world.
Right now dozen people simultaneously is reproducing some car model.
Car that have been hundred times reproduced. And its designers and engineers have on their computers.. With every single part included, like screws, internals..

XswampyX
09-27-2014, 07:45 AM
I agree Sensei, If I was say Honda, I would have everything I had ever made available as a free 3d model. No payments at all, and very high quality.

Then you would see Honda products in every movie, advert, game, ArchVis. It would become like Honda built everything. How much would that be worth?
It wouldn't cost anything, because they already have it all sat on their computers!

prometheus
09-27-2014, 08:42 AM
Dont agree with you completly sensei, it is a matter of time from now, but within that..it is a matter of resources...as you say.
simple as that, and you canīt avoid matter of time...from now til then, itīs there in your face all the time no matter what.
So how long from now is still a valid discussion...I think, but it is more variables than the fact of how long somebody will refining with the help of budget, it is of course self evident that resources and money will
make everything happen faster, and as of today it would probably be possible to get very close with supercomputers and super simulations, but it isnīt for us common users in a household.
and it takes time to develop and research and thus things happens in leaps and steps..based on the latest steps..so it is a timely evolution of things.

inkpen3d
09-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Well, according to one theory it is highly probable that you/we are all living in a simulated universe so realistic that we actually mistake it for the real thing - see this TED talk by George Smoot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chfoo9NBEow

Just pray that someone doesn't do a reboot of the system!

prometheus
09-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Well, according to one theory it is highly probable that you/we are all living in a simulated universe so realistic that we actually mistake it for the real thing - see this TED talk by George Smoot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chfoo9NBEow

Just pray that someone doesn't do a reboot of the system!

a completly different topic to talk about, but ..Meh...I donīt think so, if it looks like a duck or quack like a duck, it probably is, to me I donīt grasp that as a high probability that we would be simulated and not real things...just my take on it.
Whoīs right or wrong..no one will probably ever know..and it seems futile to speculate in it, My personal beliefs are that this guy is wrong..and I donīt believe in it, if we would embark on such speculations..it wouldnīt make us
more enlightened or grasping the truth about the world we live in..I think it only would result in speculative mumbo jumbo for ages, and if we somehow reach a point where we scientificly could prove we are in a simulation
..it could contridict the truth of that, since we know the simulation could be anything in such case..and within that simulation we could be wrong..uh..

Based on what we know about the universe as the real universe...I think it is to much fantasy speculation over some higher beings would actually have reach such level of power to control universe and run universe simulations..
and that includes gods and what have you else out there, being an ateist as I am ..that is my conclusions, It might be possible..but highly unlikely in my opinion.

I wouldnīt mind rebooting if the system is full of ugly bugs and not working properly, if I am not in that system..fine, nothing to worry about..if it reboots to a better stage with me in it..Iīm fine with that too.:)

I think a reboot of the two last matrix movies might be good though.

KurtF
09-27-2014, 03:16 PM
The wife and I enjoy watching "Haven" on the SyFy channel. It's fun and silly. Nothing in the show is explained, but I wondered if in fact, that the entire environment of Haven might be a simulation. In a simulation, any wacky thing you imagine, turning off gravity, giving people weird powers, would just require altering the simulation. Easy peasy.

prometheus
09-27-2014, 05:20 PM
The wife and I enjoy watching "Haven" on the SyFy channel. It's fun and silly. Nothing in the show is explained, but I wondered if in fact, that the entire environment of Haven might be a simulation. In a simulation, any wacky thing you imagine, turning off gravity, giving people weird powers, would just require altering the simulation. Easy peasy.

Do you really belive you were watching that show, itīs all fake, someone simulated you watching a fictionary tale. that was written by someone that isnīt real, since that guy was simulated in another simulation, in this case You might wonder if there are two engineers who made two scripts and simulations, one for you and one the author of the series, maybe a third chief is in this story as well ..writing my sim and thus what I am writing right now.
it could also just be one master chief gordon from hells kitchen making it all up with a master reciepe, they should be aware though...now we are on to them...and soon we might be able to free our minds.