PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a soccer ball

Slartibartfast
09-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Hi all!

I've seen a couple of tutorials about making soccer balls, but I wanted to try it my way, and I haven't seen it be done with platonic solid and rounder tool :-)
So, here is a mute video of me modeling. There is some slow parts, due to me trying to be clear to the viewer and using buttons instead of shortcuts. I didn't succeed very well :D

http://youtu.be/WLfuYno1TBI

Oedo 808
09-23-2014, 06:51 AM
Thanks, it's an interesting use of Rounder, there are some good uses for it on points. Always nice to see different ways of working :thumbsup:

Yeah, Multishift isn't the most responsive of tools (are any), it's funny to read in that thread on Gavriil Klimov that he feels even Modo isn't fast enough for him. 8/

With ZBrush moving to 64bit I wonder how much they'll streamline performance, the demands of polygon handling are only going to get bigger.

Anyway, thanks for video, the more the merrier!

JoePoe
09-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks Slartibartfast! :thumbsup:

Certainly an easier start compared to beginning with a tessellated sphere and combining tris into pentagons and hexagons!! That can be ..... dizzying .

I used your start to go as lowwwwww poly as I could go. I added an extra rounder (edges this time) operation around the major shapes to get control loops (the resulting edges are in blue below). The big difference I think is that instead of multi-shifting I just used poly/normal move. This keeps the corners nice and tight with the low poly count. With multishift they start to pull apart and round off.

Personally I think this is a little too low poly. A little more structure couldn't hurt..... Just looking to push it.

480 polys :)

Thanks for the tip.

Slartibartfast
09-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Anytime :)

@JoePoe: did you use edge weights to get the creases so defined? I made several low-poly attempts, one which was similar to your's, but it was too smooth. (Smart subdivision of your hexagons to keep it from beeing circlified after TAB-key! ) I tried several ways of making hold geometry but in the end it was easier to go nuts on the polycount :D

Slartibartfast
09-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Interesting video from numberphile about "truncated isocahedron" aka football:
http://youtu.be/4mEk7d8oRho

JoePoe
09-23-2014, 01:16 PM
"Too Smooth" !!??....... That's what the ladies call me :ohmy:.
(but seriously, not sure what you mean by that :stumped:)

As for the other stuff....
No, no edge weights.
The creases AND the hex/pentagon corners not being circlified are both possible because of the edge rounding (see below).

(I did another one with a little more structure. FYI, used Metaform instead of Make Pole. Just kinda like it better with edges crossing perpendicular to each other and not coming off of the corners. Anyway......)

Final with a little more structure 124441, and even more 124442.
How to get there.....Edges to be rounded 124443 (btw selection made with point statistics... not by hand :hey:).
After Rounding. Un-subD..... you can see how close together the loops are 124444.
Close up. The red edges (from the Rounding) are tiny little control loops for the corners 124445.
SubD-ed. Red vertices are tight in on central corner point.... it's holding it's shape. 124446

** Important ** Before the next step, hit Spherize (Modify Tab>Transform>More) to get everything nice and round before moving sections out.

Last but not least. Use move (not multishift...well you can if you want, but you already have control loops there from Rounding) to bring out the panels. Notice that with using Move the selection is one poly loop inside of the full Pentagon (in this example) shape. If Multishifting you would use the whole thing in order to not lose those controls points.
Added benefit... By NOT selecting all the way out to the full shapes I could select and move all sections at once!
(Only have one shown here to keep it clear.)
The central loop from the Rounding keeps the crease structure 124447

Hope that made sense.
Let me know if anything needs clarification.

Oh.... and very interesting video!

Slartibartfast
09-23-2014, 02:37 PM
"Too Smooth" !!??....... That's what the ladies call me .
LMAO :lol:

(but seriously, not sure what you mean by that )
I meant the seams on the borders between the penta/hexagons weren't sharp enough, but I understand how you did that now after your excellent explanation. Well done!
And Metaform ... so THAT's how to get that perpendicular wires - they look beautiful :thumbsup: . Never used it, thanks for the tip!

Slartibartfast
09-24-2014, 11:40 AM
New clip, now including JoePoe's great techniques :)

http://youtu.be/NFwCqdvJw-g

Waves of light
09-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Nice collaboration your guys - great end result, very useful.