PDA

View Full Version : Your visions of the future.

shrox
09-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Some years ago I was making some video display screens for a ship in a game. I made them HD flat panels like is so prevalent today. The art director wanted them to be like the cathode ray tubes of the then current day. Since it was the future the displays would be HD flat panels was my reasoning, but he prevailed, and they were curved 4:3 displays.

When you design stuff that is futuristic, do you design by today's tech or what emerging tech is expected to be standard soon?

hazmat777
09-21-2014, 07:54 PM
I imagine it would depend on the script. If it is "retro" the I'd go full on bulbous tubes with mechanical dials and earl 50's look to everything. If the script was "future" I'd probably go for a Minority Report or Matrix "airport loading dock" kind of thing.

shrox
09-21-2014, 08:35 PM
I imagine it would depend on the script. If it is "retro" the I'd go full on bulbous tubes with mechanical dials and earl 50's look to everything. If the script was "future" I'd probably go for a Minority Report or Matrix "airport loading dock" kind of thing.

Have you ever argued your point of view on some detail like that? It still bugs me when I see it.

I've also been told to change a minor character (a fighter pilot on screen for less than 10 seconds) from a black guy to a white guy, but only after I pointed out what I had done with him.

hazmat777
09-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Have you ever argued your point of view on some detail like that? It still bugs me when I see it.

I've also been told to change a minor character (a fighter pilot on screen for less than 10 seconds) from a black guy to a white guy, but only after I pointed out what I had done with him.

I really respect your work so I wasn't suggesting you do what doesn't feel right. But without out a bit more info (which you may not be able to post) I was just tossing around ideas for the way I might approach two different scenes/eras.

P.S. When I was at AM some of the Mentors were very difficult to work with. Others were very positive and encouraging. I learned more from the ones who were open minded, but still critical.