PDA

View Full Version : Replace multiple lwo objects in Layout at once ?

madno
09-21-2014, 03:32 AM
Hi,

is it possible to replace multiple lwo layers in a lws scene at once?

I made a lwo with a bunch of layers. Then I copied the lwo file in windows explorer.
Now I want to tell the lws scene that it should use the objects of the copied lwo.
I can do it layer by layer with the command
[File]->[Load]->(Replace With Layer ...)
in Layout.
But this only works one layer after the other. So if I have 20 layers I need to do it 20 times.
I am sure there is a more smart way in Lightwave to do this in one run instead of 20.
I just can't find out how.
Does anybody know a trick?

probiner
09-21-2014, 03:50 AM
If this is tit for tat replacement: Save the an Object increment in Layout and save a scene increment. Replace the increment file with the copy you made in explorer and reload the scene.

If you want to do increments you can do them in Layout itself, no need to copy in the explorer.

Cheers

madno
09-21-2014, 04:43 AM
:-))

I had to use google translate and liguee.de to learn what "tit for tat" means.
Especially the first word let me do that :-)))

Yes: in my case it is a tit for tat replacement.

Ok, seriously.
Why I am doing is this:
I made a little still scene. The deadline hit me, so I needed to finish it. But the ligthting and surfacing was a hack that worked somehow. Now, while it is weekend, I wanted to have a deeper look into the materials. But i did not want to alter the original scene or the objects. That's the reason why I made a copy of the scene file and the object file. I wanted to mess around with them but not disturb the already final source files.
As far as I got it, i can't tell either Layout or Modeler to make an increment of the LWS and the LWM file at the same time. It is either an increment of the LWO or the LWS but not both.
So what I did now was to rename and copy the original source files to "..._save". Now I can mess around as I like and later on use the "..._save" files to go back to the initial state by renaming them back.

I think that's what you suggested.
Thanks probiner.

spherical
09-21-2014, 04:58 AM
Just to be clear, because this has gotten a bit convoluted for anyone coming along later, this is what I do:

Open Layout and load the scene that contains the object that I want to modify, but also retain the original object, too.
Open Modeler and load the Object that I want to modify.
In Modeler, Save As... the object I want to modify to a different filename.
Switch to Layout; the scene updates the loaded object to the Save As... filename version.
Save As... that scene to a different filename.

Now you have a complete object and scene pair that you can work with to test out ideas, without destroying the originals.

madno
09-21-2014, 05:23 AM
Yea that did it,
sometimes life can be easy,
thanks mate

raw-m
09-21-2014, 12:20 PM
If your feeling brave, you could open your scene in a text editor and find/replace the name of the object.