PDA

View Full Version : Camera Zoom Tool borked?

tburbage
09-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Anybody familiar with the Camera Zoom Tool?

It is activated by the '/' key, and is supposed to let you interactively set the current camera's zoom factor/lens focal length.

What I'm seeing is that when activated, it resets the value to 0mm, creates an envelope, but then can't be changed except by directly manipulating the key value in the Graph Editor. Dragging in the viewport (which you would expect to work given it is a tool), and even dragging on the value "slider" control in the lower-left does nothing. I thought it might be related to what the current auto key setting is, but it didn't make a difference.

If anybody has a build older than 11.6.3 installed, it would be useful to know whether the tool works there as well. I'm using Ver 11.6.3 Build 2737 (Win64) 30-Apr-2014.

spherical
09-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Same behavior in 11.6.2. Same behavior in 10.1 and 9.6.1, except that it deactivates the slider button in Properties and doesn't set the value to 0.0 upon activation. Can't find anything in the docs on it, going back to v9.0.

tburbage
09-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Clearly a popular tool... ;]

Well, I'll log it anyway... If they don't want to fix it they could at least remove it. I also couldn't find reference to it in the v10 docs.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2014, 11:04 AM
It WOULD be a popular tool, if it WORKED AT ALL. But it doesn't. It's b.s: been reported for YEARS.

Another lapse at LW3dG. As I recall, even when it didn't reset your fl to zero, once you used it once, you could never use it again and were forced into the GE TO ADJUST THE FOCAL LENGTH. Yeah, that's organic.

HOW IT SHOULD WORK:
Cameras should have an additional channel in the MAKE KEY dialog, "FOCAL LENGTH". (Heck, Lights too.)
If AUTOKEY is on, adjusting the FL would create a key on the FL channel.
If AUTOKEY is off, it's up to the user to make a key.
Invoking the tool at any point does NOT affect that frame's FL until the tool is USED.

If the MAKE KEY dialog needs to be standard (i.e. can't sense non-zoomable Items), non-Camera&Light items could have an unused "x-channel" to suck up the notional FL key. the FL channel would be switched to LIGHT ANGLE for Lights, or dumped in the x-channel for those lights that don't use angle.

jwiede
09-23-2014, 11:56 AM
If they haven't fixed it by now... (shrug)

jeric_synergy
09-23-2014, 07:12 PM
If they haven't fixed it by now... (shrug)
I keep TRYING not to despair.
(Spell check says that's right, but it doesn't look right to me...)

But this one is particularly trying, esp. for an old camera guy.