PDA

View Full Version : Using Photoshop/Lightwave @ same time

Chingis
11-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi, I know I've gotten around this before but I've seemed to have forgotten. If I have an object loaded up in modeler with textures and I want to paint on them in Photoshop, save the texture, and see the update in Modeler - how do I do that? Photoshop won't let me save cuz it's being used by Modeler. Very annoying. Any work-arounds? Even if I delete the image out of the image editor Modeler is holding it in memory somewhere and the only way to save the image is close modeler. AHHHHHH.

Thanks

Castius
11-26-2003, 02:38 PM
If you have the directx exporter installed the image in/out parts of the plugin can lock the texture. Try clearing those plugins then try. Very anoying I know.

Castius
11-26-2003, 02:49 PM
It seem i have been proven wrong. there might be an issue with tga plugin. Use something else i tend to just use psd file or tiffs.

Chingis
11-26-2003, 03:24 PM
It's very possible that it's a TGA thing. The weird thing is, I found that if you load up the object/textures in LW first and then Photoshop it will let you save no prob. That's not always a convenient thing to do though. Let me (unofficially) report this here as a bug. If you're listening Newtek.......

Maxx
11-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Okay - long day, so take what I say with a grain of salt...

I often work with both PS and LW open and running at the same time - PS (5.0) has no problem with saving a texture while LW has the texture loaded, as long as you use the Save A Copy As... function. Personally, I like .png as my texture format, so it works out well.

It is, however, possible that it is, in fact, just a TGA formattting problem.

*edit* - just tested, and part of my original post just flat didn't work anymore. So, forget it.. :D However, the Save A Copy As... bit does. On my machine anyway. Ok - ignore me, I'm going to bed now...

A Mejias
11-26-2003, 07:36 PM
I've seen other file access problems with Photoshop that requier me to shut down PS to release the file. I don't know if they started with version 6 or 7.

You could also use the Save For Web feature to save in PNG.

On related topic, I'd love to see a LightWave be able ti take PSD layer and drop each one into the individual texture channels. The PSD layer names could control the channel, channel layer and channel value to set in LW. That way you would have one PSD file for each surface instead of multiple files.

Dodgy
11-27-2003, 03:23 AM
I think it is a PS problem, as I've encountered it with Perforce (a content management program). And it is TGA specific, if you use TIF or any other format, it goes away. I often use PSD's until the texture is finished, then switch to another format just because it's easier to save and reload.

sire
11-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by A Mejias
On related topic, I'd love to see a LightWave be able ti take PSD layer and drop each one into the individual texture channels. The PSD layer names could control the channel, channel layer and channel value to set in LW. That way you would have one PSD file for each surface instead of multiple files.

Would be even better if the texture channels get preassigned in the PSD through the use of folders in Photoshop (called "layer sets" there).

novadesigns
11-30-2003, 11:43 PM
Yeah that would be sweet, since I tend to work that way.

DaveW
11-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Dodgy
I think it is a PS problem, as I've encountered it with Perforce (a content management program). And it is TGA specific, if you use TIF or any other format, it goes away. I often use PSD's until the texture is finished, then switch to another format just because it's easier to save and reload.

It's not just PS, it happens in Photo-Paint as well, only with tga.

Zach
12-01-2003, 01:49 PM
This has been an issue for quite some time.

It works if you are using .iff files saved in the amiga format, though. Tha's what I've been using for a couple of years without a problem.

w_will
12-01-2003, 07:36 PM
the title says it all...
png lets you use alpha if you need it

A Mejias
12-02-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by sire
Would be even better if the texture channels get preassigned in the PSD through the use of folders in Photoshop (called "layer sets" there).

I see what you mean! Give the layer folders the name of the channel Diffuse, Specular, etc. Then each layer inside the folder would corespond to a channel layer in LW. It could import the layer blending modes and use the layer/folder name to determine Levels and alpha images. E.g. //Specular 80% // layer 1 Alpha /layer 2/layer 3/, //Diffuse 90%// layer 1/ layer 2 Alpha/layer 3/, //Luminosity 10%// layer 1/. This example would mean you would use 1 file instead of 7. Of course many surfaces use a lot more image files per surface.

blabberlicious
12-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Better still...spend some cash and but Bodypaint 2.

Amazing - changed my texturing whole workflow for the better!

Instead of the dreaded non updating images, 'saving as' .psds, etc - I just use layerd .PSD files.

The fantastic part is that BP does all the grunt work of creataining and maintaining multiplle texure files, allowing you to paint simultanouesly across several diffrent image maps, even if they are separate models!

Great tools, great interface (Newtek listen up!)

I often re-edit stuff back in Photoshop...LW seems able to display and render .psds pretty well - although Viper craps out and doesn't render bitmaps.

Sooo much easier to concentrate on the creative - rather than million of repetative file saving/re saving....

When I've finalised the textures, BP lets you flatten and save them out in whatever format you want.

And I haven't even mentioned the UV editing, which is FANTASTIC - forget all that painful unwelding nonsense LW forces you into.

Now, if I was on comission from Maxon, I'd go on........

Cheerio