PDA

View Full Version : JIMMY 2.0 is coming - and this time works on CHROME! WOW!

tyrot
09-16-2014, 12:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62f3GSDA_w&feature=youtu.be

Jimmy is back- and it is Chrome based right now.

We, couple of users are beta testing now.. a totally super fast (in seconds - less then 3 seconds usually) new rigger, posing tools and some crazy ragdollish IK based tools that i cannot describe ...and many other things...look at that HDRI..backgrounds..
Yes it is still at alpha base but - this is where Jimmy is going.

So there is something special is cooking at Enki's kitchen - i hope he will release more videos soon...

wesleycorgi
09-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Looks cool but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

:) (Jimmy | Rig you broke my heart).

Megalodon2.0
09-16-2014, 01:31 PM
So there is something special is cooking at Enki's kitchen -
Right next to PIM.

Looks cool but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

:) (Jimmy | Rig you broke my heart).

Yeah. It was buy it and wait and wait and wait for updates. Moved on.

wesleycorgi
09-16-2014, 01:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62f3GSDA_w&feature=youtu.be
We, couple of users are beta testing now.. a totally super fast (in seconds - less then 3 seconds usually) new rigger, posing tools and some crazy ragdollish IK based tools that i cannot describe ...and many other things...look at that HDRI..backgrounds..

Hi Tyrot,

I am curious did Origami Digital contact you with the beta info? I am looking through all my old JR email from a couple of years ago and I saw this: "your purchase of Jimmy|RIG Lite also entitles you to participate in the beta for
Jimmy|RIG Pro. The beta of Jimmy|RIG Pro will start shortly and you`ll be emailed when
the download is available."

I haven't seen anything and the forum's don't mention 2.0.

jwiede
09-16-2014, 08:51 PM

So there is something special is cooking at Enki's kitchen - i hope he will release more videos soon...

Meh, think I'll wait and see how (if) the release turns out. If they seriously intend to require it be Chrome-hosted, that's enough reason not to be interested all by itself, IMO.

Davewriter
09-16-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm just happy to hear... well, anything.
We complain about not getting a bone here or there from LW, but it holds nothing against Jimmy.
I'm still hopefull!

wesleycorgi
09-17-2014, 05:39 AM
Meh, think I'll wait and see how (if) the release turns out. If they seriously intend to require it be Chrome-hosted, that's enough reason not to be interested all by itself, IMO.

Does this mean that it is Mac-compatible? I've only downloaded/used one Chrome app before and it ran as a desktop app (I also had the same app as an embedded Chrome browser app).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just happy to hear... well, anything.
We complain about not getting a bone here or there from LW, but it holds nothing against Jimmy.
I'm still hopefull!

Even better is the support/news from PMG! ;)

Ryan Roye
09-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Does this mean that it is Mac-compatible? I've only downloaded/used one Chrome app before and it ran as a desktop app (I also had the same app as an embedded Chrome browser app).

From what I read, browser-based software's big advantage is that it works on any platform. Theoretically JR2 could even run on mobile phones. It also means less burden for the developers to create many different versions of their software, saving development time otherwise wasted juggling between, for example, Mac/Windows/Linux, and also saving the burden of having to create "GPU-specific" pieces of code. In short, the developers can worry less about compatibility and more about features, which is fine by me.

It's way too early to be judging JR2 at this point, I'd be more interested in how it can be tightly integrated into existing production pipelines, and how well the final animation workflow turns out.

Davewriter
09-17-2014, 08:03 PM
I'll also be interested in seeing which version/s of Kinect it will use.

jwiede
09-17-2014, 08:27 PM
It's way too early to be judging JR2 at this point

True, but it is fair to consider Origami Digital's prior history w.r.t. product delivery, customer support, and so forth.

As for it being browser-based, if you thought the problems were bad when an activation-based app's company or servers ran into problems, imagine how such scenarios play out for browser-based apps.

The cross-platform benefits, BTW, derive mostly from the programming environments used, and only in a much lesser sense from them being delivered/hosted by browser.

digitaldoc
09-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Jimmy Rig, just broken promises.

Greenlaw
09-18-2014, 12:41 AM
I was an early J|R adopter and I guess I'm technically still a supporter. I initially bought in to see if J|R would work for me as a low cost Motion Builder alternative for retargeting and editing my iPi Mocap Studio data. These days, Motion Builder 2010 continues to work well for my projects and freelance work, but I'm always on the watch for good alternative because I don't see Autodesk taking Motion Builder seriously enough to continue developing it. I'm still keeping an eye on J|R 2.0 because, unlike MB, I like that J|R supports Lightwave objects and scenes directly.

Regarding Kinect based motion capture, J|R uses the Microsoft Kinect SDK so you will need to run under Windows to use it, regardless of which browser you're running. Unless the developer wants to create custom Mac specific drivers, this is just how it is. It's the same situation for Nevron Motion and other single-Kinect based motion capture systems. For Mac users, the best bet is to run the software in Windows under Boot Camp (not Parallels) or wait for Apple to actually do something with the PrimeSense tech they bought a year ago. (Grr...still sore that they pulled those incredible Carmine sensors off the market.) However, if you're using J|R for Kinect capture, I don't imagine the platform matters too much so long as it can run the supported browser.

Anyway, this is interesting. Will wait and see how J|R 2.0 develops from here.

G.