PDA

View Full Version : Particles are puttering out for no reason?

objuan
09-15-2014, 03:24 PM
I've got a scene with a couple of particle emitting nulls, parented to other nulls, to move them around all crazy.

It's working pretty good, but around frame 1750 my emitters die down and stop emitting?

I've set my Particle Limit ridiculously high. With the Emitter selected, under the FX tab is says FX Emitter: 8154 particles, which is well below my limit.

Out of experimentation I've tried changing the of values on my birthrate, which seem to respond except it still dies out.
I tried opening the classic scene editor and shifting everything back -1000 frames, now it putters out at 750.

I don't understand?

I attached the scene file if anyone cares to take a gander, or better yet can just say oh yeah, unclick the "ignore particle settings after 1750 frames " button.

ernpchan
09-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Not sure why but something about your envelope is affecting this. What I did for your curve was delete the last key and set the post behavior to Linear and have the graph values climb really drastically...that seemed to continue to increase the particle count.

objuan
09-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Huh? I tried what you said and got no real change.
I killed the envelope entirely and just left a constant birthrate, and it still dies out around 1750.
I killed the FX emitter entirely and added a new one, and it still dies out.

Waa.

Out of curiosity, if your scene is working Ernest, can you send it to me? [email protected]

ernpchan
09-15-2014, 04:23 PM
I'll try to recreate what I did tonight when I get home.

JoePoe
09-15-2014, 04:36 PM
My guess:

You have the Emitters as children of a bunch of things including the Spinners.
The Emitters are set to Size Effect=Size>Density Fix(mass change).
Spinner 2's size goes down to almost zero.

It's taking it's children down with it, and hence the particles mass down towards zero too.

I changed the XYZ scale curves for Spinner 2 to 1 (as all the other spinners).
Seems to have fixed it. :)

Edit: Without touching your Spinner, you could also just set Size Effect=No Change

ernpchan
09-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Oh interesting. Didn't think to look there. My 'fix' is a hack compared to JPs.

objuan
09-15-2014, 04:42 PM
G.I. JoePoe!!!! A real American hero!

Thanks Joe. I havent ever really messed with the size effect much, and now realize that it has probably been the source of much confusion in the past. Seems like a better default would be No Change.

Thanks guys!

JoePoe
09-15-2014, 05:50 PM
:lol:

Glad that did it. Cool little particle dance ya got goin' on.

I'm off to tackle Cobra now! :D

objuan
09-15-2014, 06:19 PM
"Knowing is half the battle."

Thanks again guys.