PDA

View Full Version : Cloth FX: what's wrong?

AmigaNewTek
09-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Hello everyone,

this is the first time i try ClothFX.

I tried this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hvx8qQ_A68

Unfortunately, i was not able to create the simulation. Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

The only thing i changed is the Bed. I used a ball instead.

I start the calculation button, but the blanket pass through the Ball.

I'm quite sure that i have used all the settings showed in the video.

Any hint?

jeric_synergy
09-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Firstly: "AMIGANewTek" !! Wow, that takes me back. :)

OK: simulation activities in LW are quite sensitive to SCALE-- look down in the lower left corner to note how big the squares in the grid are.

That is: somethings that will work at some sizes will definitely NOT work at other sizes. Make sure that the Objects you created are generally the same size as the examples in the tutorial. It's quite easy to make a ball that's 100 meters in diameter.

AmigaNewTek
09-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Thank you for the reply.

The grid size is 1m, while the ball is 101 mm. But i scaled the ball many many times.

WHat kind of proportions should i use?

Firstly: "AMIGANewTek" !! Wow, that takes me back. :)

OK: simulation activities in LW are quite sensitive to SCALE-- look down in the lower left corner to note how big the squares in the grid are.

That is: somethings that will work at some sizes will definitely NOT work at other sizes. Make sure that the Objects you created are generally the same size as the examples in the tutorial. It's quite easy to make a ball that's 100 meters in diameter.

As for the AmigaNewTek name, i'm just doing a small video for a new Amiga model ;)

jeric_synergy
09-15-2014, 10:02 AM
New Amiga!!!

I'd try to see what size the tutorial author was using. That said, there's 1.7 bazillion settings, all interactive, so it's IMO a bit of a crapshoot. You might also try making your meshes denser.

THAT said, the fastest way to get actual help, AND THIS APPLIES TO ALL YOU HOSERS (jk), is to package, zip, and post the scene here. Then you get REAL help instead of bootless speculation. For simulations, where some obscure setting can be critical, this is esp. important.

AmigaNewTek
09-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Yes, new Amiga. The X5000 is coming (after the x1000).

Thanks to your informations, i've managed to put something working (sort of). Btw, when i render the image (i mean the a blanket or a poster that fallen onto the ball) the part surrounding the ball is weird.

Moreover, there is a way to make the falling blanket fall already somehow crumpled?

Thank you very much

ernpchan
09-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Yes, new Amiga. The X5000 is coming (after the x1000).

Thanks to your informations, i've managed to put something working (sort of). Btw, when i render the image (i mean the a blanket or a poster that fallen onto the ball) the part surrounding the ball is weird.

Moreover, there is a way to make the falling blanket fall already somehow crumpled?

Thank you very much

Can you post a render of what's 'weird'?

You could try to add more wrinkle areas to your blanket. This way it's not such a uniform grid.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/fis-wrinkle/

AmigaNewTek
09-15-2014, 11:34 AM
I fixed the weird part. If i add a wrinkle the blanket will fall as a blanket fall in reality or will fall like an unique flat and rigid object?

ernpchan
09-15-2014, 11:44 AM
I fixed the weird part. If i add a wrinkle the blanket will fall as a blanket fall in reality or will fall like an unique flat and rigid object?

Adding the wrinkles will just add more detail to how your blanket settles. It won't change how it falls initially.

If you're trying to change how it looks when it's falling before it hits the ball...you could try adding some wind I suppose. Or change the start shape in Modeler so it's not a flat plane.

JoePoe
09-15-2014, 11:44 AM
....Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

I'm quite sure that i have used all the settings showed in the video.

These two statements are in opposition, no? :D

Yeah, post scene to check settings.
Post image to show "weirdness".

Now, on to the good stuff :hey:.

You can combine displacement crumple with the cloth sim.
BUT, it has to be done all in the displacement area.
Once you have the cloth working as you want it, save the MDD data. Apply it in the displacement Nodes area using DP's MDD pointer node (super simple... just select the mdd file). Add displacement via bump map surface attributes.

Watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF46N2ENAZc) :thumbsup:.

(vid is a little old, perhaps there's another way to mix the two effects together these days. But I'm sure this way will still work)

edit: missed a couple posts while typing/looking for link. Glad you got the weirdness figured out.

AmigaNewTek
09-15-2014, 12:01 PM
"These two statements are in opposition, no? " :D

There is the "maybe" first... :ohmy: :ohmy:

Solved the weirdness, probably due to a not correctly aligned texture.

Thank you for all the suggestions: i'm slowly progressing...

jeric_synergy
09-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Good luck! I really have little patience for the kind of tweeking it takes to get good at ClothFX and the like.

(For one thing, they made a fundamental mistake: they didn't ask me to design the interface. ::tsk:tsk:: ;) )

AmigaNewTek
09-20-2014, 05:06 AM
Tried several times and in many ways, but dynamics are really hard to understand in Lightwave.
Following the various tutorial i really get little appreciable results.
What i expect from a complete physics system is a sort of automated calculations and interactions

erikals
09-20-2014, 06:02 AM
dynamics are really hard to understand in Lightwave
don't think it differs too much from other 3Dapps,

but yep, dynamics are hard to understand in the beginning

remember, always share scene if you can... easier to help this way...

prometheus
09-20-2014, 07:36 AM
here´s a sample scene to try out, there´s a procedural texture in the substructure..which gives some wrinkles to the cloth, a little slow to calculate, but try it.

Surrealist.
09-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Tried several times and in many ways, but dynamics are really hard to understand in Lightwave.
Following the various tutorial i really get little appreciable results.
What i expect from a complete physics system is a sort of automated calculations and interactions

Actually with LightWave this has more to do with the default settings than anything. So in a sense you are right, it should be automatic. You should be able to get something reasonable just from the default settings.

But by default many things are turned off. And in some cases things on that you'd normally first turn off.

I think the idea was to start with a clean slate and have the user dial in settings. But this requires good documentation to get a first-time handle on the situation which - as far as I know - does not exist. It had remained more or less a mystery for some years.

Then about 6 years ago there was a sort of concerted effort by a few people here to "crack" it. And that has pretty much been done. A search here will turn up some threads.

I'd say once you grasp the basics you'll be well on your way, and there is very little need to re-invent the wheel on it.

A lot of the old forum links are broken and I always wind up having to search around. But see if you can find any of my posts in the last year that reference cloth dynamics.

spherical
09-20-2014, 06:04 PM
A lot of the old forum links are broken and I always wind up having to search around. But see if you can find any of my posts in the last year that reference cloth dynamics.

All those threads/posts are there. All you have to do is load/note the URL and change the www.newtek.com/forums/ portion to forums.newtek.com/. I alerted Steve to this some time ago and suggested that a URL redirect or rewrite be put in place in .htaccess. He said that IT was looking into it, but it's now been a while.

jeric_synergy
09-20-2014, 07:39 PM
But this requires good documentation to get a first-time handle on the situation
ahhhhhhhhahahahaahahhah!

Bitter? A bit.

Surrealist.
09-20-2014, 07:47 PM
All those threads/posts are there. All you have to do is load/note the URL and change the www.newtek.com/forums/ portion to forums.newtek.com/. I alerted Steve to this some time ago and suggested that a URL redirect or rewrite be put in place in .htaccess. He said that IT was looking into it, but it's now been a while.

Oh very cool. Thanks for the tip.

Surrealist.
09-21-2014, 02:50 AM
Well here is one page where I summarized a lot of the links. However the above fix is not working for me.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?104570-Help-Surrealist-Feel-like-ending-it-all

spherical
09-21-2014, 05:17 AM
Well, that's because the links of the first three were, as you say in that post, copied from: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?96147-Clothfx-disappearing&highlight=Cloth%20Mesh

When that happens, the first generation links are truncated to the form: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=cloth
which is an incomplete link, because the "showthr...." portion is in there literally; not as a shortlink. They are included in the post as is (with the "showthr..." as you see it in the post; not as an abbreviation).

Hovering over the fourth link in that post, you see that it differs from the three previous in that it indeed has a complete URL; not the truncated version that goes nowhere:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?96147-Clothfx-disappearing&highlight=Cloth%20Mesh
Hitting [I]that link takes you to a 500 error.
Applying the modification that I outlined previously to the URL, you arrive at:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?96147-Clothfx-disappearing&highlight=Cloth%20Mesh
and it loads intact.

Hovering over the first of those links that you referenced in that previous post #9, you can see that it is a complete link:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92174&highlight=cloth
Modifying it to:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?92174-Cloth-on-Body-Detection&highlight=cloth
You arrive at the intended post. Same thing works for all the rest.

A simple 301 redirect would fix all of this. Until then, the above works. You just cannot assume that what is displayed in the browser is a valid link without looking to see if it is.

Surrealist.
09-21-2014, 05:51 AM
Thanks for those fixes and further tips.:)

AmigaNewTek
09-22-2014, 02:23 AM
@prometheus
Thank you
I was able to create some wrinkles, but i will try your sample scene (i'm quite sure that will be better than mine)