PDA

View Full Version : Change Surface In Layout

Gazlw
09-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Not sure if this is a bug on my copy but I can't seem to do this for geometry created in Layout, press Q nothing happens, (LW 11.6) anyone else having this or is it something that I have just missed?

Danner
09-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Change the surface of what? you can't select faces in layout. And no.. it's never worked that way. Every object created in layout has it's surfaces and you can tweak those in the surface editor. change the name, what ever.

jeric_synergy
09-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Geometry created in Layout by the Modeler Tools only have one surface per, ummmm, 'creation session'. That is, multiple objects can have different Surfaces, but for any given operation (Make Ground Plane, for instance) all the geometry created at one time will have one Surface, which IIRC you can designate/name at creation time. If you need to further delineate Surfaces on Layout-created geometry you'll have to SAVE the Object and load it into Modeler.

Gazlw
09-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Okay. I was just creating some quick Geometry in Layout such as a ground plane, and wished to change surface as you do in Modeler with the Q shortcut and then have a renamed surface to edit in the surface editor, but if thats the case I would be better off creating in in Modeler
in the first place. I normally do so this is probably the reason that I assumed you would be able to do this for consistency, as they both have the surface editor so I presumed that the change surface would as be consistent.

jeric_synergy
09-14-2014, 07:34 PM
No, you don't (necessarily): there IS a Surface name, you can alter the name and all the settings just like normal. If there's no OPTION to specify a name at creation, as there isn't for TOROID, the name is "DEFAULT". For other shapes, such as Sphere, there is an option for user name input, and the default name is "Sphere".

TMK Polygons can't even exist w/o a name, so no matter what, looking in the Surface Editor will show you that Object and its Surface.

Now, if you want them to have TWO different Surfaces, then you have to both SAVE the object and alter it in Modeler. --Toroid must be an outlier, because it doesn't give users the choice to save NOR rename the Surface. meh. :devil:

EDIT: you can change Surface names in the Surface Editor. i.e, "RENAME".

erikals
09-14-2014, 09:54 PM
...I was just creating some quick Geometry in Layout such as a ground plane, and wished to change surface as you do in Modeler with the Q shortcut and then have a renamed surface to edit in the surface editor...

it'd be nice if Selecting Polys in Layout, and making it a Surface (Q) was possible, but currently it is not...

it's one of those M/L things...