PDA

View Full Version : Vague bug warning: tools disappearing

jeric_synergy
09-14-2014, 10:30 AM
I've experienced this a couple times lately, and this time I can characterize it more fully.

In a recent thread I, ahem, rediscovered for myself the SLICE tool. Great! Today I went to use it,

couldn't find it,
opened the Menu Editor,
SEARCHED for it, and
it wasn't there at all. (!!)
Re-scanned the plugins, it re-appeared.
Replaced it in the menus (orrrrr, it might have auto-placed? Don't recall.)
Quit. Relaunched.
Gone again.
Repeat, quit, REBOOT.
This time it 'stuck'.

I've experienced this before and just thrown up my hands and used a different tool. I believe the plugins, and it would appear SLICE's code lives in a plugin, are stored in the LWEXT-64.cfg file. I don't know why it wouldn't reload that file on a soft-launch, but would after a reboot.

This post is just a "please keep your eyes open for this", and a small hedzup! to LW3dG for this issue. :(

The feeeeeelings I get when I experience this bug are massive confusion and frustration ("I know it's there!!!11!eleven!").

prometheus
09-14-2014, 10:47 AM
it probably belong to core tools, so it is sort of baked in those dll, I think....
C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave11.6.2\support\plugins\CORE\ model\interactive_plugins.lwp.bundle\Contents\Win3 2

jeric_synergy
09-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Very likely, but how is it 'falling out' of the configuration?

Vong
09-14-2014, 11:48 AM
I had a similar issue just recently. Menu items were disappearing. Items that I knew had been there the last time I ran the software were no longer showing, nor could the function be found in a search. Scanning the plugins didn't bring it back either. I ended up having to kill the config files and start fresh for the items/functions to return.

Very annoying.

jeric_synergy
09-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Huh. So, not just me, that's..... reassuring?

I'm surprised it doesn't COMPLETELY fail, if it's gonna --working partially is quite puzzling, no?

JohnMarchant
09-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Do you have any third party scripts or plugins. Ive found some old ones play funky. Sometimes Hypervoxels in the left hand menu just disappears. Not tracked it down as to which exact one it is. Also i get some **BADTAG** in the menu from some plugins/scripts. Spoke to Deuce about this and he said BADTAG was an internal thing and that it should not happen now but it does for me.

jeric_synergy
09-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Do you have any third party scripts or plugins. Ive found some old ones play funky.
Dozens. Hard not to.

I don't know why a plugin would mess with the central config files. I have seen plugins leave weird filepaths in surprising places (totes annoying). Although, LW itself does that too.

vonpietro
09-14-2014, 11:41 PM
does the keyboard short cut still work?

jeric_synergy
09-15-2014, 12:08 AM
That particular function didn't have a hotkey, so, I don't know. Since SLICE didn't seem to be loaded at all, I doubt a key would have worked.

JohnMarchant
09-15-2014, 01:46 AM
Dozens. Hard not to.

I don't know why a plugin would mess with the central config files. I have seen plugins leave weird filepaths in surprising places (totes annoying). Although, LW itself does that too.

Well i have seen some funky things going on and it seems to be with scripts mostly and usually older ones. The one that make Hypervoxels disappear in the menu has happened on a few occasions. It does however seem worse in the LW 11 Cycle.

jeric_synergy
09-15-2014, 08:10 AM
I just wish that, if a plugin disappeared, its menu entry would be RED or YELLOW or some warning color to let you know something went wonky.