PDA

View Full Version : Howler 9.5 released today

Dan_Ritchie
09-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Version 9.5 of the natural media paint and animation software Howler Digital Painter is released today.
If you previously purchased through the public beta, you should receive your link shortly.

To see what's new, visit www.squirreldome.com, and also our partners at www.TheBest3D.com

The Demo
www.squirreldome.com/Demo/Howler_9_5_Demo.exe (note if you are a current Howler user, you will have to install in a new folder to avoid overwriting an install)

The biggest new feature going in is the Particle Modeler. With it, you can create clouds and cloud like formations and animate them.

Also new are additions for landscape artists and animators.

This is an example of using Lightwave and Howler together to add foliage to the eroded parts of a landscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE9ygSeN5lA

Architecture changes

Support up to 64 threads/cores, up from 12.

Photography

Local contrast filter stretches the dynamic color range in local areas to simulate the look of higher dynamic range images

Animation

Improved onion skin with more visible layers and layer options, and Red-shift to make it easier to determine past and future frames
New particle modeler and animator to render cloud like phenomenon

Foliage and particle painting changes

Ambient occlusion on foliage for more realism
z-buffering, so you don't need to keep track of painting in any particular order
Speed improvements
No more post redraw on foliage particles
Spring setting for Orbicle particle brushes

3D Designer changes

Floating point pipeline
Improved lighting and specular highlights
Ambient occlusion
Raytraced shadows
Cloud systems
Erosion and sediment
Shading by slope, altitude, and sediment
Store height map, texture, slope and altitude masks, zbuffer, lighting buffers, and more for later use
Export OBJ objects for interop with 3D programs

Tools for landscape texture artists

Slope shading filter
Ambient occlusion filter
Erosion filter

prometheus
09-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Ah...so it is you behind this as pdhowler.

it looks interesting and havenīt seen it before, I will take a browse through this later...Itīs election time here over in sweden so I got to select a new government this upcoming day, then I look in to it:D depending on the outcome I might be able to afford it:D

Ah..almost missed the demo, what is the limitations in the demo?

michael

Dan_Ritchie
09-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Ah...so it is you behind this as pdhowler.

Ah..almost missed the demo, what is the limitations in the demo?

michael

30 saves.

hazmat777
09-13-2014, 05:09 PM
I have v. 8 "Artist" I think (not at my main computer today) and was happy to see I could make some fairly decent paintings in about 15-20 minutes without even going through the documentation. Cool stuff I will upgrade as time (and money) allows.

lightscape
09-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Looks interesting. Will check it out.

OFF
09-13-2014, 10:24 PM
I was very impressed with 3d designer tool. I spent the eve of the 3 or 4 days creating terrayn from the satellite map height, until I saw a demo video of Dan, in which he does the same thing for a few minutes. In this case 3d designer tool has a rich set of options, which are not available in Photoshop, for example. Together with the price Howler great alternative for 3D artists!

kadri
09-14-2014, 12:11 AM
This looks very interesting.

calilifestyle
09-14-2014, 12:48 AM
That photo looks like the santa clarita valey

Dan_Ritchie
09-15-2014, 01:06 PM
That photo looks like the santa clarita valey

Where all the best stuff comes from.

Bart
10-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Was contemplating purchasing this product however as the Demo will not install on my PC and also I keep getting warnings I will have to let it go.
Shame I was looking fwd to using with Lightwave.

JamesCurtis
10-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Was contemplating purchasing this product however as the Demo will not install on my PC and also I keep getting warnings I will have to let it go.
Shame I was looking fwd to using with Lightwave.

Exactly what warnings are you getting?

I have Howler 9.5 running on my machine and have absolutely no issues.

Dan_Ritchie
10-07-2014, 03:18 PM
If you're using Chrome, you just automatically get warnings about downloading it. I haven't found a Google developers relations to complain to at this point. We are also incompatible with Bit-Defender (at least older versions) There may be problems with other AVs that setup a virtural environment for software to run in. We're just not designed to run in a virtural environment. You may have to ok it with your AV's safe list.

Bart
10-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Exactly what warnings are you getting?

I have Howler 9.5 running on my machine and have absolutely no issues.

All is well, thankyou I have it up and running. The best analysis is that I did not see the Forest for the Trees.
Will get the credit card out today and purchase Howler.

Bart
10-07-2014, 04:10 PM
If you're using Chrome, you just automatically get warnings about downloading it. I haven't found a Google developers relations to complain to at this point. We are also incompatible with Bit-Defender (at least older versions) There may be problems with other AVs that setup a virtural environment for software to run in. We're just not designed to run in a virtural environment. You may have to ok it with your AV's safe list.

Yes again thankyou also, it was Chrome that was affecting my install I simply changed procedures by downloading from different internet provider and bingo away it went.

CaptainMarlowe
10-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Any plan for a mac or linux version ? Does it work with wine ?

Dan_Ritchie
10-09-2014, 12:08 PM
We work with Wine as of version 9, but Wine is always changing, so it's not an absolute.

CaptainMarlowe
10-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks. I'll give a go to the demo and create a wrapper with wineskin in Mac OS and let you know if it works fine.