PDA

View Full Version : Naming Points/Pply and recalling them later.

Farhad_azer
09-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Hi Everybody

Can I make group (name) out of sets of points or other things in modeler so that later i will be able to select them with name? it would be helpful for large amount of sets.

there is S button in modeler but i do not think it is for this purpose.

Thanks in advance

p.s.: I do not know how to categorize my posts. it seems that all posts are written in same wall. i read FAQ and still am confused. don't wanna violate the laws and orders of forum.

p.s.s: how do we know whether a questionhas been asked before or not?

ernpchan
09-13-2014, 11:46 AM
No, that S is for selection sets. What are your steps?

prometheus
09-13-2014, 12:09 PM
p.s.s: how do we know whether a questionhas been asked before or not?

You donīt, unless doing a search first and spend 40 minutes of browsing through threads.

you can use that "s" to make point selection sets.
and its the same command as the menu selection/selecion sets, but to recall that selection you can go to selection/maps/select by map and choose your named selection group, but be warned...if you want to switch to another group..you have to deselect first..or it will just add the new set with the previously selected.

and its the same command as the menu selection/selecion sets, but to recall that selection you can go to selection/maps/select by map and choose your named selection group, but be warned...if you want to switch to another group..you have to deselect first..or it will just add the new set with the previously selected.

Sensei
09-13-2014, 12:12 PM
You can create Point Group (S, then pick up from drop-down [new])
or you can create part (polygons with the same name).

prometheus
09-13-2014, 12:19 PM
also

after creating point sets...use w...when in point mode, or make that window always open..
from there you can select the point sets too..itīs a little awkward though in terms of selecting them, the selection sets should be located at the end of the point list, and you have to pull down the list and see the named selections sets..then select the name you wish..but it wonīt auto select them directly, you have to click on the + in order for them to be selected.

- - - Updated - - -

You can create Point Group (S, then pick up from drop-down [new])
or you can create part (polygons with the same name).

Thatīs what I said..but oviously you had a faster computer or isp bandwith, or simply I do write to long explanations:) I do think I had a more thorough explanation though:D

My selection setīs are not working by using the dropdown list in the right lower corner though, so I am not sure that is working correctly?

Farhad_azer
09-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks fellas

but it is now working, it does not select thu it shows the name of sets.

jeric_synergy
09-13-2014, 12:24 PM
dagnabit, got logged out somehow, but I HAD typed this:

Ernpchan, I don't understand your post: it sounds like SELECTION SETS is exactly what the OP is requesting.

OP: at the bottom right corner of Modeler are four buttons that allow designation of various Maps and sets, including Texture, Weight, Morph, and Selection. To create a Selection Set, hit the S button and then select NEW in the menu dropdown.

To SELECT a Selection Set, open the STATISTICS ("Stats") panel, default key 'w', in POINT mode (i)t's context sensitive), near the bottom of the list there will be a (possibly blank) line with a dropdown indicator-- select that and you'll see all the existing Selection Sets. Use the + icon to select that Selection Set. + in the Stats panel is additive, so you can combine your selection with other Sets.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks fellas

That CREATES sets: to select them, as written above, use the STATS panel.

To save you some trouble:

the CREATE SET dialog is non-modal, so you can just leave it open. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, there's no indicator (like a flash or a msg in the status line :devil: ) to indicate a Set has been created-- you have to notice the (overly subtle) fact that there's a new entry in the list.
I >>think<< that CREATE SET is additive, but you'll want to verify that: that is, using CREATE SET on selected points ADDS them to the existing set. (Again, double check that)(It might be a button in the dialog)
IIRC, you can clear a set using CLEAR MAP

Sorry for all the qualifications, I'm #afc.

Farhad_azer
09-13-2014, 12:30 PM
I know about statistic panel, but it is not listed there.

where am i doing it wrong?

prometheus
09-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks fellas

As I said...use the w point statistics panel, not the drop down list at the right lower corner..that wonīt work.

also ..you select them in the point statistics panels drop down list by their name, but it donīt select them directly ..you have to click on the + icon, and to deselect ..the - icon.
They are listed the bottom in the point statistics ..but not directly..you do have an arrow with a drop downlist..from there you can find the names..and you need to be in point mode..

Farhad_azer
09-13-2014, 12:38 PM
I know about w (statistics panel) dear Prometheus and use it quite often, but my set(s) is not listed there.

jeric_synergy
09-13-2014, 12:39 PM
If you can see the set in the lower right thingamabob, it's in the STATS panel, it's just not displayed yet.

Look for the line near the bottom with a "I'm A Menu" triangle, click that.

---Yeah, it's very sucky, IMO: some non-menu display would be a million times better. But who listens to me? Not Rob Powers, I can tell you THAT. (BTW, all items DO have a non-menu selection UI gadget in Layout, the 'list managers', but no-one ever seems to talk about them. WUWT?)

EDIT: that is: an amodal, non-menu Set Selection gadget would be A Very Good Thing. Select, Clear, and Additive Select buttons for one-click Selection tasks would be excellent. Don't make me draw a mockup.... #toomuchcaffeine

prometheus
09-13-2014, 12:40 PM
also check this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNYH1gW7MF8

prometheus
09-13-2014, 12:42 PM
I know about w (statistics panel) dear Prometheus and use it quite often, but my set(s) is not listed there.

read my last last post again, it is listed there.

or read this....They are listed the bottom in the point statistics ..but not directly..you do have an arrow with a drop downlist..from there you can find the names..and you need to be in point mode..
this assumes you actually created a point selection set in the correct way.

Farhad_azer
09-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Actually I am very proud of myself after seeing Ryan's video bec I had discovered those tricks by myself,

you guys I know about statistics panel, I swear, enough torturing plz lol.

still the sets are not listed there. I am confused.

prometheus
09-13-2014, 12:50 PM
sorry for the torture...

as it says in this image...check the "none" and the arrow icon ...thatīs where they should be, in this case I have no selection sets, so therefore none.

And make sure you are in point selection mode when hitting " w"

You say you use it often..thatīs odd...I donīt but managed to find them, maybe I had more coffe this morning than you :)

If you still canīt find it after this..something is very very wrong.

Farhad_azer
09-13-2014, 12:54 PM
I got it, I got it, EVRIKAAAAAAAAAA

Sorry for torturing you too :)

it was my bad.

I also laughed a lot, thanks for great sense of humor also. (special thanks to Prometheus)

jeric_synergy
09-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Even if you HAVE made some Selection Sets, that line can still say "none".

It's pretty aggravating that after all these years there's just not a dang LIST of selection sets, either in the Stats panel or in a separate panel. Random-access is soooooo superior to menus.

EDIT: here's a cheap fix: instead of saying "[none]" that damn line could say "[selection set]".

Right now, it's cryptic and 'undiscoverable' since it doesn't lead the user to click on it. "[selection set]" TELLS the user what the function of the line is.

Farhad_azer
09-13-2014, 01:02 PM
good point jeric_synergy

Farhad_azer
09-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Adding to selection with middle mouse button is another trick that I have discovered. use it dear Prometheus, no need to thank, you are welcome :)

ernpchan
09-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Ernpchan, I don't understand your post: it sounds like SELECTION SETS is exactly what the OP is requesting.

Yeah, selection sets is what he wants which the S creates. I was asking what the OP's steps were in trying to create the selection set. But it looks like the rest of the forum has chimed in with the proper info. :thumbsup: