PDA

View Full Version : Dissolve Shadows and reflections?

objuan
09-12-2014, 05:58 PM
I recently noticed that when dissolving an object on or off (via the Object Dissolve envelope under Object Properties) it dissolves the object, but the shadow it casts, and reflections of it, stay the same as it being 0% until it gets to 100%, then shadows and reflections disappear.

Is there a way in LW to fix that?

I thought maybe Raytrace Transparency would do it, but it didn't. Perhaps of note, my shadow is a shadow map from a spot light. Could be that raytraced shadows work okay with Dissolve, but I wouldn't know since I never use raytraced shadows, as they look like balls.

I know I can fix this in AE by rendering a pass with and without my object and fade in there, but I'd kind of prefer to skip those steps.

While we're on the subject matter, it would be nice to have an option in LW to dissolve an object but only see it's front faces. While it makes sense that if you make a coffee mug half transparent, you will now see the back side and handle through the front, it is often visually confusing and distracting to see them. Hence the fading a fully opaque render in AE trick, but it would be nice not to have to go to AE...

Sensei
09-12-2014, 06:08 PM
I thought maybe Raytrace Transparency would do it, but it didn't. Perhaps of note, my shadow is a shadow map from a spot light. Could be that raytraced shadows work okay with Dissolve, but I wouldn't know since I never use raytraced shadows, as they look like balls.

Of course it must be ray-traced. Otherwise renderer doesn't know that they're partially-transparent.
Turn on all ray-tracing options in Render Globals, just in case..

spherical
09-12-2014, 09:12 PM

Why would you say that, when they are better than shadow maps? Hard ray traced shadows? Use DP Lights.