PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Point to an edge

Gazlw
09-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to add a point to an edge, anywhere along the edge not like Divide where it stays in the middle, can you just pick somewhere along the edge for the point to be?

Thanks

Chrusion
09-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Ummm... Add Point tool? The two polys that the edge joins together must be selected first.

Other than that, I don't see any native edge tools to do this with just a selected edge.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Add Point or KNIFE, which will probably add more points than you intend.

Dean makes one assumption above-- ADD POINT will also work on a single polygon, but as he says if you want multiple polygons to share points, you must select them both.

--Again I'd like an adjustable hotspot on these tools: that active area is just tiny.

spherical
09-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Sometimes, when adjacent polys are selected, Add Points only adds to one of them. So, I have to do it twice and weld.

Just found that Divide does the same thing as Connect on edges. Another one of those things that could be consolidated.

Lewis
09-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Yes, Select Edge and hit Connect tool and youll get point right in middl of that edge connected to both polygons.

spherical
09-12-2014, 05:05 PM
And Divide does the same thing. I've never understood the logic of Connect dividing a single edge. Two edges and then connecting the new points, yes. If you don't want to connect the two new points, then Divide is the tool to use. It'd just be great if these were one tool.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2014, 05:23 PM
FWIW, I prefer them separate. (???) They're doing two very different things, UNLESS you've got only one Edge selected.

+++
Anyway, what are we saying??: SLICE does exactly that.

spherical
09-12-2014, 05:25 PM
They could still be integrated, with an option to do what you may happen to want at a particular time. I thought the push was to make all of the duplicate tools be gone and melded into fewer tools that do more.

Sensei
09-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know how to add a point to an edge, anywhere along the edge not like Divide where it stays in the middle, can you just pick somewhere along the edge for the point to be?

EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.eu
is good at this task.

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/EasySplit_AddPoint.gif

No need to select anything prior using this tool though, which speeds up workflow.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Ok, I kinda got crossposted: SLICE TOOL does what the OP requested.

spherical
09-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Now, four ways to add points. Some better than others, depending upon what you want to do.

prometheus
09-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Ok, I kinda got crossposted: SLICE TOOL does what the OP requested.

yes..slice is nice:)

And hold ctrl and click if you want to snap to the middle of the edge you want to slice/add point on.

jeric_synergy
09-13-2014, 11:10 AM
And hold ctrl and click if you want to snap to the middle of the edge you want to slice/add point on.
Sweet tip!! Nice! I wish that reminders of that nature would pop up every time I use tools.

DEVS! If the numeric panel and/or status line isn't doing anything useful, consider putting usage hints in there!!!!

bazsa73
09-13-2014, 12:14 PM
If the numeric panel and/or status line isn't doing anything useful, consider putting usage hints in there!!!!

+1

jeric_synergy
09-13-2014, 12:47 PM
I do like TrueArt's UI: that slashing motion is cool and less 'clicky', more fluid.

Sometimes the clickiness gets to me.... and my poor mouse...

chippwalters
09-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Is the Add Point tool also called Points with kbd shortcut + under the Create menu? If so, it doesn't add points along selected poly edges for me. ????

jeric_synergy
09-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Add Points and Points are two different tools.

chippwalters
09-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Thanks. Where do I find the Add Points tool?

jeric_synergy
09-13-2014, 04:36 PM
SEARCH in your Menu Editor.

gerry_g
09-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Does not get highlighted in the menu bar until an actual poly on you mesh has been selected so may be hard to spot otherwise, its under TOP TAB BAR<MULTIPLY<SUBDIVIDE<ADD POINTS

chippwalters
09-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks both for your reply!

djwaterman
09-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Many's the time I've had to search for this even when I know it's there and what it does.

jeric_synergy
09-14-2014, 12:16 AM
Many's the time I've had to search for this even when I know it's there and what it does.
That's why I replied with the GLOBAL way to find ANY thing, not a specific location. I use SEARCH several times a day.

And yes, Add Points seems particularly elusive. Thank Buddha SLICE now exists.

Gazlw
09-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Hey guys thanks so much for your replies, though it would be a nice elegant solution if Newtek could give us a tool that manages to give us a point that can then be slid up and down along the edge to just where you want it and then confirmed almost like a mini add edges though just for one edge and one point.

jeric_synergy
09-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Well, SLICE does just that. True, it tries to connect if you click on an Edge in the same poly, but that's easy to avoid.

I'd suggest a simple enhancement/option in the Numeric Panel: "Connect Points [_]" on/off. First check if RMB does anything-- it might terminate the operation after the first point is added ( #aflw ).

So, two enhancement requests:
Numeric panel option
RMB behaviours