PDA

View Full Version : Blackmagic Design Acquires eyeon Software Inc.

Megalodon2.0
09-12-2014, 03:50 AM
Didn't see this coming.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/pressdetails?releaseID=61765&utm_source=Blackmagic+Acquires+eyeon+Software+Inc&utm_campaign=Blackmagic+Acquires+eyeon&utm_medium=email

wesleycorgi
09-12-2014, 04:34 AM
That is interesting, since Blackmagic is primarily a hardware company.

ianr
09-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Does this mean they are going to "weld" to a box?

motivalex
09-12-2014, 08:55 AM
They have developed DaVinci Resolve really well since they purchased it. Fusion is a great app which has suffered from poor marketing and management by Eyeonline. This is good news for sure.

KurtF
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Eyeon also has some media management and visualization/collaboration software. However, I always felt their web site was horrid, almost no way to tell what their products did or how much they might cost. Truly wretched marketing. Maybe BlackMagic Design can turn these applications into break out properties.

wesleycorgi
09-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Eyeon also has some media management and visualization/collaboration software. However, I always felt their web site was horrid, almost no way to tell what their products did or how much they might cost. Truly wretched marketing. Maybe BlackMagic Design can turn these applications into break out properties.

Yes, when they switched over two years ago(?), their site became almost unusable. On a personal level, I found their sales and support very friendly and helpful. When I mentioned that I was coming up to Toronto, they invited me to come visit them in their offices.

What would be awesome, if the Blackmagic deal gives them more resource, is if they could develop a Mac version of Fusion. I would upgrade/update my license and use more often if they did have a Mac version.

lightscape
09-13-2014, 12:15 AM
This is good news.
Fusion is very capable but loses to marketting against Nuke.
With Blackmagic Design this could change and Fusion might bite into Nuke's userbase and make the playing field more even.

Riff_Masteroff
09-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Should I resubscribe to Fusion or should I not?

Fusion7 has pricey subscription increases this year.
50% more this year than last.

And that given that I now have Fusion7 standalone version (dongled offline computer).
I use Fusion always, but in basic ways. Basic in the sense of 'I don't use all Fusion has to offer'. Fusion, imo, is a very powerful program.
Might not need more updates given my level of inexpertice.

The Fusion sales crew in Toronto has been flackey in recent years; but, so far, I have tolerated them.

I am wondering if the Fusion7 that I have is time bombed. My current subscription ends later this month.

3dWannabe
09-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Should I resubscribe to Fusion or should I not?

Fusion7 has pricey subscription increases this year.
50% more this year than last.

And that given that I now have Fusion7 standalone version (dongled offline computer).
I use Fusion always, but in basic ways. Basic in the sense of 'I don't use all Fusion has to offer'. Fusion, imo, is a very powerful program.
Might not need more updates given my level of inexpertice.

The Fusion sales crew in Toronto has been flackey in recent years; but, so far, I have tolerated them.

I am wondering if the Fusion7 that I have is time bombed. My current subscription ends later this month.
You won't be able to use updates that come after your subscription ends, but will always be able to use Fusion 7 or Fusion 6 verions from before that date.

I've owned Fusion for 5 years, and am very excited about the new development money that will be poured into Fusion. This is a major win for Fusion users. I don't see any downside at all.

With the increased seats Fusion will end up with, I hope OTOY provides Fusion support.

BTW - check out this newsgroup for Fusion!
http://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless/viewforum.php?f=16

Riff_Masteroff
09-16-2014, 11:18 AM
You won't be able to use updates that come after your subscription ends, but will always be able to use Fusion 7 or Fusion 6 verions from before that date. . . . . .

Fusion 6.4 is so. However, all versions (including the current 1420) of F7 are time bombed. My understanding is that F7 is Gold Candidate and has not yet been released.

An hour ago, I spoke with Joanne Dicaire (Eyeon Sales) via cellphone while she was at IBC. She was very nice and explained that eyeon is having problems with their software being cracked. F7 works now for me, but what after my subscription ends (September 25th for me)?

I run a workstation offline. And I use LightWave, Fusion and PhotoLine frequently. Eyeon worries about cracks. I worry about all of the internet, and for reasons of my safety use the workstation with the CAT6 cable unplugged.
Note that I have a second computer for internet communications. Eyeon's subscriptions cost hundreds of dollars per year. No updates to be had last year except F7 (for me).

If my subscription expires, do I get nothing at all for the money spent? If I renew my subscription (09/25) will BlackMagic/eyeon require an always-on internet connection? If so, I intend to 'just say NO'. F6.4 is solid. But what of money spent, possibly, for naught?

And, yes, I am now afraid to work in F7. Will the time bomb explode with a loss of personal work? I suppose that I just not 'way cool'.

Riff_Masteroff
09-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Update: I just spoke once more with eyeon sales (Joanne Diclaire) . . . . . this time she was back in her offices in Toronto. F7 will be officially released today. F7 will continue to be able to work offline ( many others use it that way also). Generation license will now be included with F7 license. Last year, my sub renewal was 395usd. This year, 495usd.

realgray
09-19-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm really excited about this. The way things were going, Fusion looked like a fading product. Now with Blackmagic behind them I will be giving it a test drive. It hopefully will fill the void in between AE and Nuke