PDA

View Full Version : How to Transform geometry by the polygon normals?

chippwalters
09-11-2014, 02:38 PM
In picture below, I want to thin the light blue area, so I select the top polys (1) and want to move them along the poly normals to the lower edge (2).

Smooth shift works, but CREATES geometry along poly normals. What if you just want to MOVE geometry along poly normals? I'm sure I'm just missing something.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3788438/LightwavePublic/shift.png

prometheus
09-11-2014, 04:47 PM
have you tried point normal move?

objuan
09-12-2014, 10:19 PM
You can also use Move Plus, and right-msb drag.

I think it does the same thing as firebringer's point normal move, but also you can left-msb do regular moves, so it could be more interactive in that way...

objuan
09-12-2014, 10:27 PM
After brief experimentation, Move Plus and Point Normal Move are a little different.

I think:
In your case with just the top polys selected, Point Normal Move will move them out from the arch, and scale the points out width wise.
But Move Plus right-drag will move all the points on the normal, but not width wise. I guess maybe Move Plus interpolates between adjacent selected polys, but not on edges, or something like that?

Both cool tools, especially if your trying to adjust width of 3d wires and such for 3d Printing...

spherical
09-12-2014, 10:33 PM
The OP started two threads. (Don't do that!) This is covered over there: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143429-How-to-Transform-geometry-by-the-polygon-normals

chippwalters
09-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Sorry. I actually went back to review and couldn't find my post because I thought it was in a different forum, and so I posted it again thinking I made a mistake the first time. My bad.

spherical
09-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Doncha just hate it when that happens? :) I have the same trouble trying to find a post in a thread that I know is here somewhere, because I read it just an hour ago. Usually ends up that the thread was started in a non-logical forum for the topic and search is the only thing that leads be to it.

jeric_synergy
09-14-2014, 11:22 AM
UI-wise, I wish there was just a labeled tool that exclusively did POLY normal moves, as there is PointNormal Move.

Training and retention would be a lot simpler: I'm forever confusing Move Plus, Translate, etc. And all the threads saying "use RMB" would go away forever. --I'm pretty sure that violates a couple standard UI principles.

I've gone so far as to make a DUPLICATE button labled "RMB Move" to remind myself, but nobody should have to jump thru that hoop, esp. noobies and occasional users.