PDA

View Full Version : Software Only CG

iustv
11-26-2003, 09:56 AM
We produce a recorded live news program a few times per week; as you can imagine, leading up to recording time there are many things to be done on the VT[3]: graphics prep, recording segments to the DDR, etc.

We desparately need the ability to create graphics "off-line" (off of our VT[3] system) so that we can use the VT[3] for other show prep. activities, while someone else makes the graphics on another workstation. Is there any way to run a "software only" version of the VT[3] without spending an additional $4K + for a complete system? Any ideas how to tackle this problem?

Thanks,
Kieran

Paul Lara
11-26-2003, 01:05 PM
It's not possible at the moment, Kieran; VT looks for the presence of the card before launching. We are looking at this possiblity in the future, though.

RayLarson
12-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Just an FYI that I have been using TitleDeko that came with my Premiere as a stand alone CG making .tga files on another computer and importing them into T3 as needed. This works for still pages only but between that and Photoshop I can do most anything off-line, if necessary. Hopefully we can do all this within T3 in the near future.

bradl
12-02-2003, 10:44 PM
As much as I would like to use CG module, we still use Photoshop for most of our CG. One reason is the same problem you have, the Workstation is tied up all the time. My partner, Mike, usually hammers out the graphics on his workstation that has my V drive mapped to it.

Adobe just released Photoshop CS (8.0) that has many 'video' friendly features added, including ability to save out layers as a seperate files (which we do now in v7 using a custom javascript I wrote- search these forums for details)

I also find too many 'problems' and limitations with the current CG module. It really needs someone to really go deep into the code and give it some new life. It does a lot of things just not the things that I want it to...