PDA

View Full Version : LW License

Zorares
11-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Hi, I'm new to LW and I've been playing with it on my PowerBook G4. Everytime I want to work on LW I had to hookup that little purple license thingy in a USB slot. Worked fine. Just upgraded to a Dual G5 PowerMac that came installed with Panther. Reinstalled LW onto my new system and plugged in that little purple license thingy and no matter what USB port I use, LW won't see it and I end up in Demo Mode. Am I missing something here?

BeeVee
11-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Have you copied your license.key across as well, or is the G5 not seeing the dongle itself?

B

NigelH
11-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Also, make sure that the dongle (purple license thingy) is inserted into a USB slot during the actual installation. This at least gives you a temporary license.key file in case the original got lost in the shuffle between the 2 machines.

Zorares
11-26-2003, 05:30 PM
I reinstalled LW 7.5 with the dongle attached. Still can't seem to see the License! AAARGH!

Juzz
11-27-2003, 03:10 PM
remember to add the file Licence.Key to your programs folder mate.

If all fails, did you install the dongle drivers before plugging in the dongle itself?

I personally use a cracked version of LW because I am afraid that the dongle will go broken. I use a laptop and am on the move most of the time.

Is this ok? I do have the dongle with me...

Stewpot
11-27-2003, 03:26 PM
Try this thread over the page.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=25

Activator
12-11-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Juzz
remember to add the file Licence.Key to your programs folder mate.

If all fails, did you install the dongle drivers before plugging in the dongle itself?

I personally use a cracked version of LW because I am afraid that the dongle will go broken. I use a laptop and am on the move most of the time.

Is this ok? I do have the dongle with me...

My dongle just "went south". I had taken it out to work on a Mac running 10.2.8 because I can't stand the Graphing Editor bug anymore!

When working in LW on my 10.2.8 Mac, I realized that I was in the "Discovery Edition" and couldn't save... tried everything w/no luck.

So... went back to original Mac I've been using for months (running 10.3.1), and, now I couldn't get LW to launch in anything but the "Discovery Ed."!!! WTF?

So... got me a Krack. Now I've got LW Back. Screw the dongle. Hey, I paid for LW and am in the middle of a huge project due Monday. Can't wait for Newtek's s l o o o o w support to send me a new Dongle.

I don't think using the Krack is wrong at all in this instance. Just lets me actually USE the product I PAID for!
:D

Matt
12-11-2003, 08:32 AM
:eek: Uh Oh! :rolleyes:

Paul Lara
12-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Activator
So... got me a Krack. Now I've got LW Back. Screw the dongle. ...I don't think using the Krack is wrong at all in this instance.

Of course, that's your opinion.
The opinion of NewTek is markedly different from yours, however.

archiea
12-11-2003, 05:12 PM
My biggest fear is losing the damn thing....

I have two LW licenses, one for the desktop one for the road...

The desktop on has the Dongle internally in the USB card, so its not visible..

the PB one now has a friend... the mirage dongle, and now I'm twice as scared of losing the thing...

I try to male the dongle removal a ritual that I won't forget...

The ironic thing is that cracked copies of LW are available quite easily. So this whole dongle issue doesn't stop piracy, it just makes me sleep less! :(

But if it helps NT sleep better....

I have tons of software, all of it is owned. Two that are freeware I paid the owners cause it was so useful. Alot of my freind think I'm stupid. I'm actually quite proud, as I had rarely paid full price for any of them, as discounts are there for the patient, and its an investment...

There are users, and then there are collectors....

Chazz
12-11-2003, 05:52 PM
The subject of cracked software here is a little like masturbation....everyone may or may not be doing it, but damn... don't talk about it in public! :rolleyes:

JackDeL
12-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Activator
My dongle just "went south". I had taken it out to work on a Mac running 10.2.8 because I can't stand the Graphing Editor bug anymore!

When working in LW on my 10.2.8 Mac, I realized that I was in the "Discovery Edition" and couldn't save... tried everything w/no luck.

So... went back to original Mac I've been using for months (running 10.3.1), and, now I couldn't get LW to launch in anything but the "Discovery Ed."!!! WTF?

So... got me a Krack. Now I've got LW Back. Screw the dongle. Hey, I paid for LW and am in the middle of a huge project due Monday. Can't wait for Newtek's s l o o o o w support to send me a new Dongle.

I don't think using the Krack is wrong at all in this instance. Just lets me actually USE the product I PAID for!
:D

Please do us all a favor and get with Newtek and get a new dongle or whatever you need. they will help you.

We Mac users have a hard enough time getting any respect as it is. Openly confessing to using a cracked version of Lightwave does nothing to help the rest of us who use Lightwave legally.:rolleyes:

Matt
12-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by mfessenden
The subject of cracked software here is a little like masturbation....everyone may or may not be doing it, but damn... don't talk about it in public! :rolleyes:

LOL what a great analogy!

Ge4-ce
12-26-2003, 02:24 PM
I think it's quite simple! As soon as you earn money with stolen software. You're a bad guy.. (or woman)

1: You don't pay for the software and do not support the product

2: You are an unfair competition for the ones who DO buy software.

3: Everyone can say screw them with their fair use.. I can assure you that as soon as you use illegal software and make money with it.. It'll not go unnoticed. And the punishment for doing that is not light! (you can do the dishes at Newtek!!!)

4: For students however.. I believe that it is not possible to buy software. Cheap learning editions (meaning real cheap 500$ is not cheap for a student) are options.

5: a lot of company's are known for letting students 'use' the software illegal for learning purpose.

When you go pro.. Buy it..

I Myself are one of the rare exceptions to own a legal copy with dongle of LW. I'm still a student! Next on the list: G5, and then Final Cut Pro

Chazz
12-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Matt
LOL what a great analogy!

Thanks! :D Just trying to keep the mood light...