PDA

View Full Version : Animating Long Dress (picture)

A.Russell
11-26-2003, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know some good settings for Motion Designer to make the cloth on this long dress animate?

I've looked at tutorials and played with settings, but I always end up with the cloth strtching too far and the cloth going through the legs. In her animations, she does things like round house kicks, and getting bowled over backwards.

Thanks

http://www.clubvarie.com/Pictures/textured4.jpg

wacom
11-26-2003, 09:36 AM
To start with try uping your spring, skin thickness, and calculation settings for the dress. Skin thickness is touchy- and a little bit goes a long way. Also look into using MetaPlug cages etc for low poly stand-ins that calculate faster.

I'm no master of MD...but there are a few that creep around these boards...

A.Russell
11-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Maybe, but anything I enter just ends up a mess. Has anyone animated something like this before and can tell me what the settings shoud be?

WizCraker
11-26-2003, 06:13 PM
The settings differ with every object. You would have to play with it and test to get it working. Focus on the skin thickness then when that is fixed to your likeing work on the spring, etc...

Dodgy
11-27-2003, 03:30 AM
And use 'stretch limit' and set it to something like 10%, this is much quicker at calculating than spring and gives better results for this sort of thing :)

mrunion
11-27-2003, 03:50 AM
I don't know if you know this but www.simplylightwave.com has a video tutorial on animating a dress. I think it's called "Lady in Red" or something. I believe it uses MD.