PDA

View Full Version : Flat Spline control? Or tension?

objuan
09-11-2014, 06:57 AM
I'm using spline control to animate some cables. The cables have bones to deform along the spline, and both ends have rigid objects which move on the spline, but dont deform.

I'm pretty happy with the system, except when I go to plug my cable in, I want the head to just move flat on Z, no curve at all. It seems very difficult to have my nodes draw a flat straight line at the end which transitions into curvyness with out bending my flat, or adding a little hump I dont want.

Basically I want to treat some of my 3d space spline nodes, like keyframes in the graph editor and set the "Tension" to 1.0 so the curve eases in?

ernpchan
09-11-2014, 10:52 PM
I tried this and couldn't find a way to adjust the curve like you can in the graph editor. If you're just using spline control to pose your cable you could just use bones without using spline control.

objuan
09-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I am moving and animating the cable, but it may be that just bone animation is better suited to my task.

Sure would be nice if spline nodes had a tension setting though... (hint hint LW)

ernpchan
09-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Sure would be nice if spline nodes had a tension setting though... (hint hint LW)

Submit a feature request. I do agree...better curve control would be nice, if not crucial.

jeric_synergy
09-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Pictures would help a lot here.

AFAIK, anytime you want a flat bit on a spline you need a couple buffer nodes, in a line. Isn't the spline evaluated as a straight, continuing line after the end? If you morph the geometry along its Z axis it should travel straight pas the last node.

Review Jen's presentation about spline control, I'm pretty sure she demonstrates that effect.

objuan
09-13-2014, 01:47 AM

The vertical difference of Node 4 here is minimal. There is NO sweet spot where the spline never bumps up at all. Maybe I am just being anal, but I mean come on, didnt we all become animators so we could control our own little perfect worlds?

Thanks for the tip on Jen, fairly informative 26 minutes with her and Duece. Though I think that Italian (?) dude with the shark has more pizazz.

Still though, I'd like a tension control...