PDA

View Full Version : Add Roughness to Shadow Catcher

pinkmouse
09-10-2014, 08:52 AM
So, I've been playing around with camera tracking and compositing with an old version of PFtrack and LW.

I've managed to get a good track, exported it to LW, and used the old Null to Points script to make a suitably deformed shadow capture object to match the flow of the terrain. You can see the nodal setup I used to get the shadow colour correct, using a front projected, colour corrected, image sequence, and that's all pretty good to be going on with, (yes, I know the model needs more work on surfacing! :D).

Currently, the scene is lit with a dome light set to 1, to soften the shadow up a bit, but I would like to simulate the roughness of the grass a little better, just to break the shadow up a little more. Turning up the Roughness in the SC node does sweet FA, so short of cranking up the subpatch level of the shadow catcher poly's, and adding a textured displacement, is there anything I can do to make things look better?

cheers

MSherak
09-10-2014, 04:15 PM
So, I've been playing around with camera tracking and compositing with an old version of PFtrack and LW.

I've managed to get a good track, exported it to LW, and used the old Null to Points script to make a suitably deformed shadow capture object to match the flow of the terrain. You can see the nodal setup I used to get the shadow colour correct, using a front projected, colour corrected, image sequence, and that's all pretty good to be going on with, (yes, I know the model needs more work on surfacing! :D).

Currently, the scene is lit with a dome light set to 1, to soften the shadow up a bit, but I would like to simulate the roughness of the grass a little better, just to break the shadow up a little more. Turning up the Roughness in the SC node does sweet FA, so short of cranking up the subpatch level of the shadow catcher poly's, and adding a textured displacement, is there anything I can do to make things look better?

cheers

Could you do something like this?? I went drastic so you see the effect.. The image is front projected for the mapping.

pinkmouse
09-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Yes, that sort of works, though I think I'd add a reverse falloff so only the edges are affected. However, I tried with the displacement, but once I'd added a little motion blur and AA the result was barely noticeable.