PDA

View Full Version : Surgery - Yuk!

Davewriter
09-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Going in tomorrow to repair and add to some spine surgery I had over 2 years ago.
Just wish I wasn't such a baby when it comes to pain.
And I also wish the doctor would stop adding to the list of "Well, there is also the possiblity of..."
Hopefully I'll be back to play with you kids in about a week.

shrox
09-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Take care, lay around and watch movies.

Oedo 808
09-08-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm a complete coward when it comes to things of that nature, thankfully I have nothing major to complain about, though I have had a suspected hernia for years now, I really should get it checked out, but I'm not even registered with any GP.

Well, best of luck to you, do give us an update, and like you say, I'm sure you'll be back to play with us in no time!

jwiede
09-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Going in tomorrow to repair and add to some spine surgery I had over 2 years ago.
Just wish I wasn't such a baby when it comes to pain.
And I also wish the doctor would stop adding to the list of "Well, there is also the possiblity of..."
Hopefully I'll be back to play with you kids in about a week.

Seriously, are you absolutely sure it's worth it? Spinal surgery is such a crap shoot, and speaking of, incontinence isn't the fun, glamorous ride it might seem from the outside.

OTOH, the 4" zipper scar on my lower back is definitely a conversation starter in the locker room.

Best wishes, hope things go well, and you have a boring recovery! :D

jwiede
09-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Take care, lay around and watch movies.

If you don't already know Spanish, and are stuck in bed, watching Latina soap operas can even be considered educational. :devil:

hazmat777
09-08-2014, 07:24 PM
I say a Plants vs. Zombies marathon might be a good way to pass the healing time.

Davewriter
09-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Seriously, are you absolutely sure it's worth it? Spinal surgery is such a crap shoot, and speaking of, incontinence isn't the fun, glamorous ride it might seem from the outside.

OTOH, the 4" zipper scar on my lower back is definitely a conversation starter in the locker room.

Best wishes, hope things go well, and you have a boring recovery! :D

Yup... got one of those also. This one is in my neck. It appears that they overlooked a small bit of disc that was pressing in places it shouldn't. All but makes my right hand useless. And I'd really like to have those fingers back again. Oh, and life without living on pain killers.

And my Chinese wife is hoping I'll watch her Chinese Soaps and improve (start) learning more.
But good lord! There are only so many triangle love stories I can handle...

jwiede
09-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Oh, and life without living on pain killers.

I considered that boat as sailed ages ago, and have made my peace with that situation. (shrug)

roboman
09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
I had 4 crushed disks, that had lots of pointy sharp things facing inward. It was lots of fun, not. Surgery sucked, but was very worth it in the long run. They used some sort of glue and large butterflys, so no zipper, just an 8" line that isn't that noticeable. Good luck, and best wishes on the recovery.

MAUROCOR
09-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Good luck and I wish you have a very good recovery! Some things are just necessaries in this life. Do what you have to do and come back soon!;)

jeric_synergy
09-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Goodness gracious! Good luck, and a speedy recovery.

erikals
09-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Crossing fingers for you, hope all works out fine http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

MAUROCOR
09-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Hey, Dave, tell us when you are back, please!;)

Davewriter
09-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks to all!
Finished up and got myself installed back home again.
I have the "Cone Of Shame" collar to wear for the next few months. Makes sleeping really fun.
Loved the looks on the doctors faces when I told them that my fingers still hurt. It was this strange... puzzlement that came over them.
This had been a reconstructive surgery for one I had about 2 years ago in my neck, a fusion of C5-6.
As I described what I was feeling, the doctors looked at each other and went, "Sounds more like C7-8. That's okay. We can get it next time."
Next time!
I think it's time for more meds :)

jwiede
09-16-2014, 08:12 PM
This had been a reconstructive surgery for one I had about 2 years ago in my neck, a fusion of C5-6.
As I described what I was feeling, the doctors looked at each other and went, "Sounds more like C7-8. That's okay. We can get it next time."
Next time!
I think it's time for more meds :)

Sorry to hear things weren't as good as you'd hoped with your hand/fingers, but I hope you still got a fair amount of relief, and a more stable structural situation. Best wishes on a quick and boring recovery!

shrox
09-16-2014, 08:38 PM
I made this for my hand, I can make a custom one for you.

Davewriter
09-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Just gets into a series of Catch 22's. I've had no income for a little over a year now. Trying to get into disablity, but that is a process and a half. And if a single form isn't done "correctly" either they want to kick you out, or it's many, many hoops to get things going again. All it took was for 1 doctor to say, "patient is coming along fine." Review was passed using that single line alone and I was denied any benefits.
So I had the surgery... I still have three fingers that cause enough pain to require a drawer full of meds.
But the Doctor said "Ah, but we know where it is now. We'll get it next time."
And I wait for my Disability hearing which hasn't been scheduled yet... but should be mid October.
Sigh!

MAUROCOR
09-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Dave, it is easier to treat the problem once you know where it is, so be patient and do whatever you have to do to get better. I with you all the best.

jwiede
09-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Just gets into a series of Catch 22's. I've had no income for a little over a year now. Trying to get into disablity, but that is a process and a half. And if a single form isn't done "correctly" either they want to kick you out, or it's many, many hoops to get things going again. All it took was for 1 doctor to say, "patient is coming along fine." Review was passed using that single line alone and I was denied any benefits.
So I had the surgery... I still have three fingers that cause enough pain to require a drawer full of meds.
But the Doctor said "Ah, but we know where it is now. We'll get it next time."
And I wait for my Disability hearing which hasn't been scheduled yet... but should be mid October.
Sigh!

Yep, been there, done that, nothing but scars and pain to show for it. The whole process is so convoluted, it's horrible. One hint: It's ALL about the diagnostic codes, and (as you already ran into) the precise phrasing the doctors use in their reports. Most doctors don't have a clue about it, either, so will (again, as you discovered) accidentally say things that screw you royally unless you discuss it in depth with them ahead of time. Quite a crappy lesson to go through while already dealing with trauma and recovery in the first place.

Good luck, Dave, and best wishes. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Our situations aren't the same, but I might have already run across stuff and can save you from having to go through it yourself. Take care!

Davewriter
09-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Thank you Sir!
As well as for everyone else. It's a good group of people we have here and I sure do appreciate you all.
It's all of you who keep me from putting this bullet... well it is a wooden one... I'd probably have to smack it alot... :)
Thanks folks!