PDA

View Full Version : Different camera in different viewports

rdolishny
09-07-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm doing some fun two-character animations talking and I'd love to have one viewport the main camera, and 2 little viewports off to the side with the output of two other closeup-cams for each of my characters. Attached is what Lightwave gives me: all 3 viewports the same camera.

I want 3 viewports each with a unique camera.

I hope I'm missing something but I think I'm limited by the Lightwave interface: whatever camera you select on the bottom gets routed to all 'camera' viewport views.

.... or am I missing a hidden feature?

hazmat777
09-07-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm afraid you might be doomed on this one for now. I would love to hear otherwise, since I can't direct anything with one viewport. I mean I can, it's just another reason to export to another program. Hopefully there is a solution from the user base.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Well, you can use a LIGHT as a vuport camera, so that gets you up to 2, but you want 3....
It's awkward but you can use the camera, one light, and Perspective to get 3 viewpoints.

(BTW, my terminology for "lights used as viewpoints" is "dedlights", since I turn them down to zero and turn off all their possible effect.)(Hmmm, a script to create "dedlights" goes on the list...)

What about "Vizier"? I never understood what the hell that thing was supposed to solve....

shrox
09-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Well, you can use a LIGHT as a vuport camera, so that gets you up to 2, but you want 3....
It's awkward but you can use the camera, one light, and Perspective to get 3 viewpoints...

Cool. Sometimes workarounds are kind of fun.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Dedlights are also a way to get around the fact that there are no SAVABLE viewpoints.

Well, except for dedlights. They're actually BETTER because it's easier to control each one's perspective distortion. AND you can have multiple levels of distortion, one for each light.

::adding to the dedlight script feature list:: "Prepend 'DEDLIGHT' or 'VIEWPOINT' to light name".

rdolishny
09-07-2014, 02:31 PM
It's awkward but you can use the camera, one light, and Perspective to get 3 viewpoints.

(BTW, my terminology for "lights used as viewpoints" is "dedlights", since I turn them down to zero and turn off all their possible effect.)(Hmmm, a script to create "dedlights" goes on the list...)

What about "Vizier"? I never understood what the hell that thing was supposed to solve....

Oh that's a great use of lights. Nice hack!

Is Vizier a plugin or something in Lightwave?

jeric_synergy
09-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Is Vizier a plugin or something in Lightwave?
It was added native a couple revisions back (9.6?). I never understood what problem it was supposed to solve.

Like VIPER, but less usefully so, it seemed to have so many arbitrary limitations that I certainly never used it. Not much chatter about it on the boards either. AFAIK it's still in there, somewhere.

++++
Of course, you can have 2 perspective viewports, but they won't FOLLOW your characters around if they're moving. A dedlight can be childed to the character's headbone so it's always looking at the face.

Maybe we can convince RH to add "MakeFaceDedlight" to his tools. ;)

rdolishny
09-07-2014, 03:14 PM
It was added native a couple revisions back (9.6?). I never understood what problem it was supposed to solve.

Like VIPER, but less usefully so, it seemed to have so many arbitrary limitations that I certainly never used it. Not much chatter about it on the boards either. AFAIK it's still in there, somewhere.

++++
Of course, you can have 2 perspective viewports, but they won't FOLLOW your characters around if they're moving. A dedlight can be childed to the character's headbone so it's always looking at the face.

Maybe we can convince RH to add "MakeFaceDedlight" to his tools. ;)

This dedlight hack is going to work perfectly. Thanks everyone!!!

jboudreau
09-09-2014, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=rdolishny;1398174]I'm doing some fun two-character animations talking and I'd love to have one viewport the main camera, and 2 little viewports off to the side with the output of two other closeup-cams for each of my characters. Attached is what Lightwave gives me: all 3 viewports the same camera.

I hope I'm missing something but I think I'm limited by the Lightwave interface: whatever camera you select on the bottom gets routed to all 'camera' viewport views.

Hi Guys

Have you tried using 3 different perspective viewports. Set all 3 viewports to perspective and adjust them to what you want. Now you have 3 unique viewports acting like 3 different cameras

Like this:

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

rdolishny
09-09-2014, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=rdolishny;1398174]I'm doing some fun two-character animations talking and I'd love to have one viewport the main camera, and 2 little viewports off to the side with the output of two other closeup-cams for each of my characters. Attached is what Lightwave gives me: all 3 viewports the same camera.

Hi Guys

Have you tried using 3 different perspective viewports. Set all 3 viewports to perspective and adjust them to what you want. Now you have 3 unique viewports acting like 3 different cameras

Like this:

Hope this helps
Thanks,
Jason

My characters are looking around a lot, and I was watching an old Pixar BTS where the character's face is always dead-on, and orthographic (?) at that so no distortion. Very handy.

But thank you for the the suggestion!!!

sandman300
09-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Would the CCTV shader work for this?

Slartibartfast
09-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Would the CCTV shader work for this?

Cool idea! For watching only though. Will be hard to edit anything ;-)

shrox
09-09-2014, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=jboudreau;1398425]

My characters are looking around a lot, and I was watching an old Pixar BTS where the character's face is always dead-on, and orthographic (?) at that so no distortion. Very handy.

But thank you for the the suggestion!!!

By making the light cone very narrow and moving it far away, one can get a nearly orthographic look, I used to do that with a camera before the ortho camera was introduced.

sandman300
09-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Cool idea! For watching only though. Will be hard to edit anything ;-)
It might work if you have a powerful enough computer to keep VPR happy.

I actually prefer to animate first and then frame up the shots. I think it's much easier than trying to keep things inside the frame.

jeric_synergy
09-09-2014, 05:34 PM
#aflw For AVATAR-style headrigs (dedlights childed to the headbone) I wonder if there's a light better than a spotlight: obviously the spotlight allows you to set the perspective, but you might have to move the light so far away that other scene items interfere w/visibility.

Perhaps an OMNI or LINEAR or even a DOME gives a better vuport view while being close enough to the face so that nothing comes between the dedlight and the face.

jeric_synergy
09-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Ugh. Why didn't someone remind me about "Store/Recall View" ??

So, there IS a savable viewpoint for viewports. But, only one. (Per viewport??--- Yes.) So, dedlights are still valid for multiple viewpoints, and parented viewpoints.

Just thought I'd correct myself.