PDA

View Full Version : High School Football

TPUC
09-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Hello

One of my biggest things I do is local high school football each season. Here is my setup for in stadium video and recording as well as live radio broadcast

Tricaster XD460
TimeWarp (original)
LiveText running LT Scoreboards
4 Sony Cameras
radio broadcast equipment

Personal
2 on air talent
1 guy running the timewarp and radio broadcast equipment
1 graphics operator
3 camera men
myself running the Tricster

1 camera up top
1 camera in the pressbox for pregame and post game stuff :)
1 side line camera
1 endzone camera

We record all replays from the top camera only and record program out on the Tricaster
We use the media publish feature to load replay clips for a highlight reel
We provide video to 7 TVs and a Jumbo Tron live in Stadium. Kinda feels like a college game set up this way.
Games are not broadcast on TV live to the public they replay on Mondays after the game.
All of this is done from our own booth in the pressbox.

I would like to hear how others set up and run their games.

m4a2000
09-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Gear:
TriCaster 40 V2
LiveText with LT Scoreboards
3 JVC cameras
1 S-VHS JVC VCR
ClearCom hardline intercom

Personal
2 Anchors (Normally staff)
1 Director
1 Technical Director
1 Audio person
3 Camera operators
2 to 4 back up personnel
1 GFX, Streaming, channel operator, & tech support person (me)

Cameras 1 and 2 are located next to each other
Camera 1 is the main game camera
Camera 2 is the back-up game camera and close-ups
Camera 3 is the field camera

The S-VHS VCR is used for replays, but sadly it is of what was just LIVE
The whole set-up is done in SD and is streamed to YouTube
The signal is also sent through the in-house closed circuit system & to our head end control room where it is sent to the local cable provider on our own TV channel
Say for the anchors and the tech position all the work is done by students

skdvr
09-26-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm curious, do you guys do this just for one school or do you travel around your area to a different school each week?

If it is for a single school, does the school pay for it, or do you sell advertising on your own?

Thanks,
Phil

TPUC
09-29-2014, 07:36 PM
We do the full production for home games and single camera for away games. We partner with a local sports radio station for talent. With all this said we are a local cable tv system and use the games as perk of being on our service. We do lots of community programming. The radio station sells lots of ads.

m4a2000
10-01-2014, 08:30 AM
My school only does the home games and the students get class points and pizza for being on crew. Us staff members just take it as comp time to cash in later for an early out (as long as it doesn't conflict with classes that is).

GThomas
11-11-2014, 07:52 AM
How do you guys transmit the signals from your cameras to the Tricaster?

m4a2000
11-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Being SD we go BNC composite or S-Video depending on the run. When we switch to HD I'm going to use SDI from the cameras to the TriCaster and then go fiber from the TriCaster to our head end... At least that's the goal.

mcarlton
11-17-2014, 10:09 PM
This was our first season for multi camera live football. 11 different high schools in our service area. We hit every school at least once. Lucky for us that most of them are in same conference.

Tricaster 450XD
JVC gy-hg150 cameras (2) main cam and hero cam
Go pro hero 3 cameras (2) 1-talent cam in press box, 1 fish eye extreme wide shot of stadium
Cameras connect via bnc cable from BMD HDMI to bnc converter box
Portacom wired BP-2000 headset for crew
GFx from built in live text

2 announcers, 1 stat guy
2 camera ops
Director
Audio/gfx operator using dual screen setup on tricaster.

Hoping to add stand alone live text from a separate cpu before next season

Crew was made of two internal employees from other department, me, my assistant, and a host of different freelance workers.

GThomas
11-18-2014, 09:01 PM
mcarlton-

Thanks for all the info. I had a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Do you do any replays of live video?
2. Do you have a scoreboard? If so, what software do you use?
3. How do you do talkback to the announcers?

TPUC
12-18-2014, 09:48 AM
I use the NewTek Timewarp TW-42 for replays. I use Live Text with JT Scoreboards plug in for the score board / graphics, The announcers are in the booth with me. As far as camera runs I use Cat5 cable and Baluns to convert RGB.

Radio_TVPat1982
12-19-2014, 07:35 AM
As far as camera runs I use Cat5 cable and Baluns to convert RGB.

Hi guys, I am new to the forum! I would like to run something similar to this next football season. How far is the cable runs you are using with the Baluns? I would like to run 5 cameras (2 wide, 2 endzone, 1 sideline). Using a Tricaster Studio. How do you switch your cameras on the Time Warp, utility row or just take the program feed?

TPUC
12-21-2014, 04:38 PM
I an in the pressbox on about the 40 yard line 70 setps up. I run cat5 about 300 to 400 feet per camera. I use RGB for the runs. With the time warp you don't. You only get to replay exactly what went out live.

GThomas
12-22-2014, 07:50 PM
I an in the pressbox on about the 40 yard line 70 setps up. I run cat5 about 300 to 400 feet per camera. I use RGB for the runs. With the time warp you don't. You only get to replay exactly what went out live.

Which Cat5 Baluns do you use? Which brand/model?

Thanks

TPUC
12-23-2014, 05:37 AM
http://www.svideo.com/500052.html

I have had good service out of these. I know there maybe better ways to do it but this is the most cost effective for us.

Supports 720p/1080i/p up to 500 ft (152m) via Cat5E/6

Radio_TVPat1982
12-23-2014, 06:13 AM
With the time warp you don't. You only get to replay exactly what went out live. I recently saw someone running the Time Warp from the utility row. With the mouse he was switching to different angles than program. Program was mostly the main wide shot of the game for basketball and he was recording the under the hoop shots. Then he took that second angle on replays. Anyone know if this is possible or I was just looking wrong?

I am hoping to be able to use the baluns and make a budget friendly setup that is also easy to setup and breakdown. Have you ever though of running you Comm systems on the baluns as well?

SBowie
12-23-2014, 07:03 AM
Anyone know if this is possible or I was just looking wrong?It could be done, at least on current TriCaster products. For example: TimeWarp adds the 'primary' recording to the target DDR. The primary recorder could be configured to capture output from an M/E, and the M/E could be linked (using color groups) to the Util row on the CS. Clips would be created that consist of M/E output, and be displayed from the DDR to show the replay.

Radio_TVPat1982
12-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Thanks. As a follow up, what if you don't need a primary recording. Say for example you are streaming to a service like Ustream or something that records your broadcast for you or you take the program output and record it to DVD. Could you just assign the TW and clips as "primary" and not have to go through with trying to configure the second DDR recording?

SBowie
12-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Could you just assign the TW and clips as "primary" and not have to go through with trying to configure the second DDR recording?I may not have been as clear as I'd like about the details. TW always controls the primary record channel. You can direct it's output to either DDR. You don't need to record anything you're not interested in - including Program output.

TPUC
01-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I am interested in a good comm system that wont break the bank

PIZAZZ
01-15-2015, 08:12 PM
I am interested in a good comm system that wont break the bank

We use and sell lots of ProIntercom previously Production Intercom. (Actually just hooked up NewTek's production wing with a full setup for the studio)
http://prointercomllc.com/category/econocom/

The Econocom solution is very cost effective and as durable as can be. Simple 3pin XLR cables to interconnect and you can do up to 6 beltpacks/headsets on its power supply. If you need more power/more stations then just add in one of their master stations.

4xBeltpacks/Headsets with the power supply is under $1300 shipped to your door.

I actually know of past client that has a pretty large setup of Production Intercom that he would sell since he is dismantling his production trailer. Shoot me an email and let's discuss this more offline. jef at pizazz dot com

imryh
01-23-2015, 02:19 PM
We use Clear-Com for our communications across the board.

Same belt-packs (RS-701) and headsets (CC-300) for all our productions.
The only thing we vary is the master station.

For small productions - we use a simple PK-7 to power and connect everything.
For large productions - we use a MS-704 for multi-channel communications and PGM feed insert.

All-in-all, a very flexible and versatile system, with great sounds clarity.

mcarlton
02-04-2015, 12:02 PM
mcarlton-

Thanks for all the info. I had a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Do you do any replays of live video?
2. Do you have a scoreboard? If so, what software do you use?
3. How do you do talkback to the announcers?

1. we just added replay during basketball using a timewarp.
2. we use the built in live text with the sports graphic package
3. I call it a "poor man's IFB" I purchased a couple of two way radios from Best Buy, put a pair of headphones on one radio, gave it to talent. I use this to talk to him. If he needs to talk back to me, we put the mics in solo during a break.