PDA

View Full Version : NTLDR is missing

Hervé
11-26-2003, 03:38 AM
NTLDR missing

hi ,

I have a pretty radical problem, I was doing a check of main disk, and found a fix system thingy, so that was saying next time I'll start the computer, It'll check for eventual errors, now I restarted, and it stop saying always

"NTLDR is missing,
press Ctrl + Alt + del to restart"

so I do, same stuff......

do you know what is happening ??

Hervé

for info, the message is coming right after the mouse initialized....

jeez I cannot even shut it off.... unless I pull the power cord off the computer... should I ??

It is on win2000, dual amd1900

ghopper
11-26-2003, 03:57 AM
You might want to have a look at these links :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkd_tro_bohs.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmb_tol_zldj.asp

It seems your NTLDR file is corrupted. I had that before as well and I've just copied the file from the installation disk onto my harddisk and that resolved it. You need to have access to the recovery console though.

Or try to run setup again and it should ask you whether you want to repair an installation.

Hervé
11-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Hi there, and thanks, fact is , it starts, and then stops after that message, where do I go from here... I am typing this message onto another computer... I've put the disk windows2000 in the computer, but it still the same... how do you start from the CD-rom...?

I am very confused when it comes to win stuff.... (been a long time a mac user does not help...)

Hervé

ghopper
11-26-2003, 05:44 AM
First make sure the Windows Setup CD is in your CD ROM drive before you boot.

If you can't boot from the CD ROM check your bios settings by pressing DEL when the system first boots up, i.e. the screen where it's detecting your hard drives, cd rom etc. It normally displays a message at the bottom of the screen "Press DEL to enter setup" or similar.

You can change the boot order from there, can't remember the menu you have to select though. Just go through all the menus to find it.

Once you've enabled to boot from CD ROM try it again.

Also, check the links I've posted first.

Hervé
11-26-2003, 06:19 AM
Ok, I've succeded at least to boot up fromthe CD, but then there is no other way to repair than the recovery console, and here I am very weak... he he

Can I simply not re-install windows, is it going to detroy anything ???

Thanks GHopper

mattclary
11-26-2003, 06:21 AM
Yes, you can reinstall. Don't format or delete any partitions. Worst case, you will probably need to reinstall your applications, but your data (i.e. saved files) should be intact.

Hervé
11-26-2003, 06:45 AM
hey Matt thanks, ihave two disks a c (system and apps) and another one z... can i create a new system on the z, leaving the apps untouvhed...?

thanks

mrunion
11-26-2003, 07:19 AM
If you re-install Windows, the registry (internal windows thingy) that knows about your apps will be a "fresh" install. It still won't know about your apps.

As far as copying the NTLDR file, if you can boot from a CD, let the setup disk get to where it wants to install windows or repair an installation. Hit "R" for repair, then you should be able to get to a command prompt and copy files from your NT CD to your drive.

Of course, there are so many variable I cannot possibly help beyond this point.

mattclary
11-26-2003, 07:21 AM
You can reinstall to C and your apps will be just as well off as if you install to Z, either way, you will need to reinstall. The apps aren't going to disappear (assuming you don't format or delete the partition), they just will no longer be recognized by Windows and MAY not work. Some apps will still work, like LightWave, if you reinstall the dongle driver. Not all apps require an "install" to function correctly. Note that if your secondary partition is NTFS, you may have a problem accessing it if you reinstall the OS. Not 100% sure about that.

edit:
Herve, are you sure you have your bios set to boot from your C drive? I've seen this error when the drive with the OS was not set as a boot choice. If you recently added a drive, this may have thrown things off.

diOnysos
11-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Ntldr is possible your jumpers on the motherboard which is not firmly tagged in. Try to press the jumpers down of course while PC is shut down... Also it could be a master/slave HD problem, as i know this aint a corrupted file in your system but a jumper error...

Dionysos

mattclary
11-26-2003, 03:09 PM
No, the OS "could" be corrupt, but you are correct, it could be hardware related, as I stated above.

hairy_llama
11-26-2003, 03:13 PM
I have also had this problem with virii before, some like to "play" with that file :(

diOnysos
11-26-2003, 04:09 PM
i had the same problem in the studio and it was the jumpers who wasent pressed properly in the motherboard... wupti then i got my 400 gig hd space again _:=)

Dion