PDA

View Full Version : octane displacement troubles

wxi
09-03-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm absolutely loving octane so far. I haven't been able to find a solution to this problem, though: whenever I use a displacement map, it works really well except it separates the object based on its original geometry. Does anyone know how to solve this?

spherical
09-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Ya know, If I tried to get that effect, I couldn't do it. :D Looks like cracked glaze pottery. Don't have Octane (yet) but when I do, it would be beneficial to learn the before and after settings that you arrive at, so as to do it on purpose or not.

Are all points welded? No 1-point or 2-point polys, points not on a poly, that sort of stuff?

jwiede
09-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Ya know, If I tried to get that effect, I couldn't do it. :D Looks like cracked glaze pottery. Don't have Octane (yet) but when I do, it would be beneficial to learn the before and after settings that you arrive at, so as to do it on purpose or not.

Are all points welded? No 1-point or 2-point polys, points not on a poly, that sort of stuff?

Also, are there vertex normal maps involved? I've seen strange stuff like that before from corrupted/inverted/etc vertex normal maps. OGL or render engine winds up kind of trying to generate "legal" geometry from conflicting inputs, and produces all sorts of strange planar-but-horribly-odd results.

juanjgon
09-04-2014, 02:45 AM
To use the Octane displacement you need to enable the Lightwave smoothing in the surface parameters. To save GPU memory the plugin doesn't add the object normals to the Octane scene if this option is disabled, and without normals Octane can't render the displacement.

-Juanjo

wxi
09-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone,

Juanjgon: Thanks a lot for everything you've done to make this plugin happen! I'll check my settings and get back to you.

While i've got your attention, I've got another problem. Every time I try to use opensubdiv, lightwave crashes. I set lightwave's native subdivision levels to 0, and activate open subdiv in the octane object properties. Any ideas?

juanjgon
09-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone,

Juanjgon: Thanks a lot for everything you've done to make this plugin happen! I'll check my settings and get back to you.

While i've got your attention, I've got another problem. Every time I try to use opensubdiv, lightwave crashes. I set lightwave's native subdivision levels to 0, and activate open subdiv in the octane object properties. Any ideas?

The OpenSubD code is a bit prone to fail when the object has bad geometry (shared edges, two points polygons, etc.) ... can you send to me the object that crash the plugin?

Please try also the OpenSubD demo scene of the plugin .zip file to know it it also crash in your system.

-Juanjo

wxi
09-05-2014, 12:02 AM
The displacements are working perfectly now. Thank you so much!

The OpenSubD demo scene unfortunately is crashing, though. Is there anything I can do for this?

Thanks again juanjgon. You're incredible!

juanjgon
09-05-2014, 09:10 AM
It is strange, here the demo scene works fine. What version of the LightWave and the plugin are you using?

Please, be sure to work with the last NVIDIA drivers, and with the last plugin build.

-Juanjo

wxi
09-05-2014, 01:53 PM
I just built a new PC last weekend, so my NVIDIA drivers should be current. I downloaded the latest version of the plugin from the OTOY site. I'm using LW 11.6.3.
I'll try downloading the latest NVIDIA driver to be sure, though. I may have used the hard copy driver that it came with...

Thanks

wxi
09-05-2014, 02:04 PM
@ Spherical

Thanks for helping out. I know it looks like I just went crazy and ended up with a tangled mess, but I try to learn one parameter at a time as well. You're going to looooove Octane. I'm not at my workstation at the moment, but I believe this displacement is a Marble node with Dots node driving the scale. The resolution of the displacement is nuts, and it renders faster than you can plug your nodes together. These are exciting times!

juanjgon
09-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Please, download and install the last daily build available in the Otoy forum, it has a lot of bugs fixed, and soon it is going to be released as production build:

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=40793&sid=556153dd78d0b6aa8c3aeb1b21c7869b

-Juanjo

wxi
09-05-2014, 06:29 PM
I installed the build with no luck :( I appreciate the help regardless

juanjgon
09-06-2014, 03:33 AM
I installed the build with no luck :( I appreciate the help regardless

It is really strange, nobody else reports a crash with the OpenSubD demo scene. Anybody else with this problem?

Do you have other computer where you can test the plugin and the demo scene?

-Juanjo

wxi
09-08-2014, 12:56 PM
unfortunately I've only got one machine with an NVIDIA card

wxi
09-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Juanjgon, my apologies! I just updated my nvideo driver and opensubD is working!! I made a sloppy assumption about the driver and was away from my machine for several days... Thank you so much!

juanjgon
09-12-2014, 02:42 AM
Great !!! ... yes, the OpenSubD code needs the last NVidia drivers to work without problems.

-Juanjo

JBT27
10-16-2014, 08:26 AM
I just found this thread when I hit the separating polys problem with a displacement. Despite setting the smoothing for the surface, the polys still separate - it's just a cube.

I'm using plugin build 264, LW build 2737, latest Nvidia driver 344.11 on a Titan Black - several times the display driver stopped working, then Layout froze and crashed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Julian.

juanjgon
10-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Can you send to me your test scene to test it here? ... usually the driver can crash if you set a large value in the displacement parameter, try to use lower values first to see if the driver is more stable.

-Juanjo

JBT27
10-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Thanks. The scene and object are attached - it's a Crackle procedural driving the displacement, though I also tried an image map - same result. Displacement is set to 0.05 - memory in use reported as 31/4110 or thereabouts.

Julian.

juanjgon
10-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Ok ... a cube with hard edges is a very extreme object to make a displacement (displacement works better on planes or more smooth surfaces), but anyway it could work if you set the "smooth threshold" to 90 or more.

I can't see any crash here with this kind of displacement. Do you have the Standalone app. installed on your system? ... The plugin doesn't need the standalone, but the standalone installer change one system variable that makes the driver more stable for this kind of scenes.

-Juanjo

JBT27
10-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Ah - OK, thanks very much. Yes, I have the Standalone installed, so I can take a look at that too.

One more thing while I'm here - sorry to be a pain - the AO channel of the InfoChannel kernel is rendering a mesh as individual polys, not smoothed. The mesh is just under 2.1 million polys, is 20km square in Layout, and has only a Diffuse Material. Smoothing is set for the surface - I cannot find any setting that changes this appearance.

Thanks again for your help.

Julian.

gordonrobb
10-16-2014, 10:15 AM
I've noticed this with very big objects. Can't remember what I changed to fix it. May have been the Ray epsilon number.

juanjgon
10-16-2014, 10:16 AM
I think that you need to change the ray epsilon parameter in the kernel. This object is too big for the single precision floating point math that octane uses in the GPUs.

Try to set a epsilon of 0.001 or 0.01

-Juanjo

JBT27
10-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks. I had already been adjusting the epsilon, but increasing the value, to 0.001 or 0.01 reduces the AO detail to just the coarse features; the best I got was epsilon at either setting and the AO Dist set to 10km - that was smooth, but lacking in detail. I reduced the object to 2km as well, but the same problem persists.

But if I know what the problem is most likely to be (scale), I can work on that and see what I get - I can scale the object to 200m, say, and then test that.

Thanks.

Julian.

JBT27
10-16-2014, 10:54 AM
This is as good as I can get it, having reduced the mesh to 200m on a side. Epsilon set to 0.01 and AO Dist at 10m - less than that reduces even this detail - it's smooth but only the major features are shaded.

Julian.

juanjgon
10-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Can you please but a big object, like a sphere, over this terrain to see what happens with the AO effect? ... I think that this is what you get in AO channel with this kind of near flat terrain, there is nothing to occlude the rays.

-Juanjo

JBT27
10-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Yep - this makes sense. I was judging it on the quality of the facetted version earlier, which apparently had a lot of AO detail.

This terrain is 200m on a side, the sphere is 25m in radius and around 2m above the surface. Epsilon is at default, but AO Dist is at 20m.

Makes sense of the result, and good to know about the scaling.

Julian.

js33
11-09-2014, 09:40 PM
... This object is too big for the single precision floating point math that octane uses in the GPUs.
-Juanjo

So will Octane take advantage of the double precision math that the Titans can do opposed to the single precision of the 780?

juanjgon
11-10-2014, 02:00 AM
So will Octane take advantage of the double precision math that the Titans can do opposed to the single precision of the 780?

Nope, Octane only works with simple precision math. The double precision performance of the Titans is not used at all.

-Juanjo